Argh - can I vent, too???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

DBF thinks I'm the one who's nuts, so I really need a place to vent tonight.  I don't know WHAT is going on with DD, but she is absolutely dreadful this week.  ARGH!!!!  She's pretty much acting like she's completely exhausted, all the time.  TOTALLY loopy.  Talking complete crazy-talk.  Suddenly calling me Momma instead of Mommy.  Screaming at the top of her lungs if I ask for a few minutes of quiet time.  And then just laughing maniacally half the day.  It feels like I can't get through this weird nutty, volatile facade to get to the real Bea.  It feels like a sleep issue, but her sleep has been pretty consistent, and I really have no idea how to increase her sleep.  She doesn't nap anymore (trust me...I tried everything before finally having to let it go).  When she does occasionally nap, it's never more than 40 minutes, but postpones her bedtime by about 1.5 hours, so she ends up sleeping less.  She has an internal alarm clock set for 6 a.m. that doesn't change no matter what.  And she already goes to bed at 6 p.m.  It feels ludicrous to move bedtime any earlier. 

Anyway, I'm not really out here for advice because I think, I pray, that this will pass soon, but....man.  This is rough. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big hugs to you! Vent all you need; strength is in numbers. There's probably something developmental at work here that should pass soon. Do you do quiet time now that she's not napping? Cuddling DD on the couch and reading is my last resort when DD doesn't nap. Although it's not as good as a nap, 20 - 30 minutes of being still and quiet helps her recharge a little and kind of takes the edge off the overtired insanity. That's all I got aside from sympathy and encouragement. She will bounce back although I'm sure right now the light at the end of the tunnel looks like an oncoming train...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maybe a bit more snacks may level out a potential blood sugar issue. Just an idea. *HUGS*

Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to commiserate and let you know that you're not alone - and maybe vent a bit myself;-)  From what I've read of your other posts, it sounds like our daughters are very similar - high needs as babies and toddlers, intense, very vocal, need constant interaction from mama.  I feel like I can relate to what you're going through and wish you the strength and patience to get through this phase.   

And as for my vent - my DD has been very unhappy for the last week too.  My husband has gone away for 18 days for "work" (conferences that include a whole lot more partying with friends than actually working).  He travels quite a bit, but as DD gets older, it disrupts her life more and more.  Her sleep has been dreadful since he went away - if I start our bedtime routine at 7:30, I'm lucky to have her asleep by 10, she's waking up in the middle of the night, and up at 6:30 in the morning.  Of course she's a total wreck, the poor girl is tired. She has started having tantrums unlike anything we've ever experienced - she used to just be a screamer, but now she's throwing things around.  And she requires constant interaction.  If I tell her I need a few minutes of quiet time, she just screams "no, you don't - you don't need quiet time" and melts down and starts to throw things.  I've been on my own with her a lot, but this is way harder than usual.  I feel like she's just sucking the life out of me - and I've only been on my own for 6 days!  Well, I should now get myself away from the computer and go clean the kitchen so that I can get to bed before midnight:)

Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

newmamalizzy  do you have any day care options where you can drop dd off for a couple mornings a week?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

So, the day after I wrote this DD and I were attacked by a devilish cold.  Not that having a cold while caring for a cold-y toddler is easy (why are they never quite as miserable as you are???), but I hope it explains the particularly terrible behavior.  Thanks for all the support.  It really helps so much when things are feeling crazy. 

Snapdragon, there are lots of daycare options, but I don't think we can swing it financially, even for a few days.  I do need to work harder on getting myself regular breaks somehow, though.  DBF has been working Saturdays on top of his usual 12 hour days, so he's not able to give me a break very often.  My parents are close by, but I don't trust them enough to leave her there on a regular basis. So...I have to think about it.  I'm trying to take her to more places with kids, because that seems to inspire her to play instead of chatter :)  

Mamapenguin, I really feel for you being alone with your DD for so long.  You must be feeling so frazzled, and I'm sure it's worse when your DD misses her Daddy.  My daughter responds exactly the same way when I say I need quiet time.  "But who can I talk to???? Whaaaaaaaa!!!!!!" 

User Tag List