My 3.5 year old & schedules - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What is your experience with schedules and toddlers? Do most of them like it?

My DD and DS (10) are at their grammy's house 2-4 days in a row each week, including overnights. My DH is usually there for most of that time. I use the free hours to work on my business and meditate :)

grammy has a farm, and she involves DD in the chores heavily. DD helps with everything, picking veggies, washing them, etc. My IL's have a booth at two local markets. Anyways, I think they have, if not a routine, at least some things that are always the same ~ like reading before bed, showering in the morning, etc.

When we are 'home', we are doing one of three things ~ running errands in town for most of the day (town is 40 minutes away, so when we're there we're gone all day), hanging out here without much of a schedule or doing much of anything other than relaxing (only 1-2 days a week like that), or sometimes we have days where we do farm chores as a family, but those have been few and far between lately.

Anyway, on the days where we don't do much (and sometimes on the days we run errands) DD is really hard to deal with. She has meltdowns where she gets into a phase where she'll repeat the same phrase over and over like 'I want ice-cream!!' She'll get stuck on it for ages, like 30 minutes to an hour. Sometimes I can distract her, but this week it's been kind of bad. She normally eats very well, but this past weekend she had a doughnut from Safeway that her Grammy gave her. So corn syrup. Anyway, it always has to do with something she wants that she can't have, or something that she wants to do that she can't do.

So long as she is kept busy (busy busy busy!!!) she's okay but throw one tiny little wrench in the works and all hell can break loose.  

DS was never like this, he was so easy!

Any advice/suggestions would be very welcome :)

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#2 of 3 Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Well, I find with my 2.5 year old that I have to be very conscious of the ups and downs of our day in order to keep her balanced.  It's not really a schedule, but more a matter of doing particular types of activities at certain times of day.  I'm still figuring it out, but usually she has an urgent need for outdoor/active play time at 9:30 or so, down time starting at 11:30 or so, but not TOO long lest she get droopy for the rest of the day.  Best time for independent play is usually after meals. You get the picture.  I wonder if the days on the farm have more natural ups and downs than your days at home?  I know I always think it will be nice to spend a day relaxing at home adult-style, but it just doesn't provide enough ebb and flow for my daughter. 

#3 of 3 Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my 25 MO DD has her little meltdowns at 6-6:30pm, when my hubby and I are distracted and not paying too much attention to her because we're doing chores and dinner. Maybe your DD is responding for the same reasons? I always give my DD a chore to do along with us and it usually snaps her out of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page