My son is 5 will be 6 in 5 months. He pees himself daily at home or school. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He does not seem to have a problem at night as long as i cut off his drinking in time for him to empty his bladder before bedtime. He says that he pees himself on purpose and that it doesn't bother him to be wet or that he is wet. He says that he goes in his pants just because he doesn't want to go to the bathroom. He does this whether he is doing something fun or classroom work. I've punished him, and he still doesn't care. He does this constantly. . He just walks around wet until he dries naturally. .I took him the pediatrician and he is healthy. Thank God. Please help me!!!!

#2 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are three areas where children have complete control: input (food), output (potty), and sleep. You can't force a person to eat, go to the bathroom where and when you want, or sleep when they don't want to. And kids know it.

My opinion is that when children are needing more autonomy, they sometimes fight back in those ways. I would give him healthier places to have more autonomy and see if he no longer looks for it in such a messy way. If that is what's going on.

I do also think that food sensitivies can cause problems with the potty, and the doctor probably tested for a UTI and things along those lines rather than food sensitivities. I am not an expert on that issue but you could do a bit of research on that, and maybe try giving up dairy for a bit and see if it improves, then re-introduce dairy and try giving up wheat/gluten, etc., and see if a food sensitivity is causing it.

But he said he's doing it on purpose so I'd guess it's an attempt to get some control over himself.
#3 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

what about diapers?

#4 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 PM

Has it always been this way? Has it gotten better, worse, stayed the same?

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#5 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 PM

I smell a troll.....  

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#6 of 7 Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 PM

what about diapers?  you could certainly put him in pull ups to avoid getting pee all over the clothing, but it is not of course solving anything.  I agree on the autonomy aspect.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 7 Old 10-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First, I would have a health talk about staying clean, which means not peeing in your pants, and if it does happen, removing them, and getting clean and dry clothes on. This does NOT have to be shaming, just matter of fact, this is what humans need to do. I would then have him change his pants and underwear and then put the clothes in the laundry to clean them. Do not help him. He is to care for it himself. Hand him the clean clothes, and a bag to put the wet clothes in, and leave him. I'd be worried about kids teasing him eventually at school. Maybe peer pressure will help him realize that he needs to take time to toliet himself. 

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page