Antibiotics for ear infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My little boy is 21 months and after a few weeks of being very clingy and unsettled I took him to the doctors. Turns out he has an ear infection and has been prescribed antibiotics. Problem I have is he is an extremely fussy eater - hated the whole starting solids and always refused to be spoon fed. He hates being given anything at the best of times but can occasionaly get some nurofen down him. Have tried 2 different flavours of antibiotics, tried mixing with his favourite apple and mango pot (he just spat it out and could taste the medicine), he shakes his head and spits out the medicine. I feel cruel holding him down to take it but even then I dont think he is really taking the full dose.

I was wondering if he can get over the infection without the medicine? I still breastfeed and his milk intake has really ramped up to the extent he was glued to me all night last night. He has no fever and is eating OK volume wise (the foods he does eat!)...

Personally I dont like taking antibiotics as I think they can sometimes weaken your immune system but I dont want my little boy to suffer as he cant really talk much so not sure how much pain he is in..

#2 of 3 Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My LO has had one ear infection and was breastfeeding as well.  Was prescribed antibiotics.  We used an herbal oil made of mullien, garlic and olive oil which cleared it up shortly. 

I hope your LO feels better soon. 

'09   
#3 of 3 Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, children can get over ear infections without antibiotics. There are three types of ear infections, antibiotics can help with 1/3, may help with a second 1/3 (depends on if the infection type is viral or bacterial), and do not help with the last 1/3. I think a 'wait and see' approach, with things like the PP mentioned and chiropractic adjustments, should be taken before abx are tried. http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/16/antibiotics.ear.infections/index.html

However, if he has already taken some of the abx, I believe he has to finish the course. From what I understand stopping the course of abx could make the infection worse. 

Can you talk to your doctor for any suggestions about getting him to take the abx? I know many children's medicines come in super sugary flavors, maybe that's what's throwing him off? You could also ask what stopping the dosage/ not getting the whole dose anyway would actually do.

I hope he feels better soon!

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page