Was toddlerhood supposed to start overnight? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She just turned one!  mecry.gif

In the past two or three weeks she's communicating a LOT more, she's trying out words, she's developed a few gestures to signal things like "All done!", and she's pointing at everything and wanting to hear what it is.  Last night she pointed at the wall.  Yeah, great, it's the wall.  She's never been so excited.

She's not walking yet, but she's developed the ability to push a step or a pillow while crawling and then climb up on it to explore higher and higher.  She wound up with her first black eye climbing, and fell, and Mama caught nothing but air because she bounced the exact opposite way Mama thought she would.  Great.  A very self-esteem building moment for me.

She's defiant.  Her tantrums are still adorable, but far more deliberate and she checks to see if we're watching while she prostrates herself and howls.  I got breakfast taco thrown in my face because she signaled "All done!" and I did not remove her from her high chair at once.  I mean she picked it up, looked at me, lined up her shot and pitched her taco at my head.  Then she threw the rest of it to the cats while howling laughing and screaming at the same time.  Oh boy oh boy. 

Also, a growth spurt has occurred.  She outgrew her shoes literally overnight.  She's in her 12 month clothing now.

Was it supposed to happen overnight?  I'm a little sad!

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#2 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Awww, yep! This is pretty much how it happened for us too! Sometimes when people would say, "Oh,she is SO two!" Id reply, "Yeah, she has been practicing since she was one!"

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 04:25 PM

It was pretty much overnight for us too at 13 months. I guess we rode the gravy train for an extra month lol. It did ease up for us a bit though around 16 or 17 months. Now at 18 months her vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds and she uses yeah and no consistently to answer questions. The added communication is huge and we go for daily walks outside to get the crazies out. I'm not saying she doesn't tantrum but they are less intense, shorter, and less frequent. For us the toddler mindset came with learning to walk. She SO wanted to go everywhere and do everything and was VERY frustrated that her skills didn't match her aspirations. The better she got at walking and now climbing, the less frustration she seems to have. Now we just need to watch out for overtiredness, teething, illness and hunger and generally things run pretty smooth. HTH.
#4 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 PM

I love it when they wait till you are watching till they throw their tantrums!! LOL

My son just turned one and he's still pretty easy going. smile.gif

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#5 of 10 Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

faint.gif

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that had a toddler overnight.  She's up to something big, because she's been up all night wanting to nurse, and also to pull my hair, bite, pinch and kick.  I made it to 6:30am before I stormed out of the bedroom and left my husband to handle it.  She seems to be sleeping peacefully now.  <grumble>

So I'm excited to see if she's about to start walking... for us, super-bad nights are always the harbinger of some big, big development.

I'm reading the Dr. Sears discipline book.  Sweet merciful crap she's defiant.  I'm told I was shockingly contrary as a child.  I'm happy she's got sass - I think she's gonna need it in this world - but oh man oh man am I not looking forward to years and years of tantrums.  They're still adorable... honestly, she throws the cutest tantrum ever.  I really struggle to not giggle and smile at her tiny, dramatic protestations. 

#6 of 10 Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 PM

MrsGregory, your posts always crack me up smile.gif my little girl is a little younger than yours, she'll be 1 at the end of october.
It was shocking to me when she had her first toddler moment. She started walking at 10 months, and the next week, the whole game changed. Babbling a lot more, really independent, started climbing, utterly labile smile.gif She makes little fists, goes rigid, and shrieks when she doesn't get her way. It's hilarious. She gets so excited about leaves, Leaves! it's unreal. My mom thinks its funny that she's starting toddlerhood early to really get practice in...

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#7 of 10 Old 10-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

For us it was 2 that happened overnight.  He has always been spirited, persistent, clear about his wants, and very good at getting his needs met, but overnight the insane toy possession started, so much so that the park is currently not fun for him because he spends the entire time stealing and hoarding toys.  He's not very verbal, but the "do it myself" business started very suddenly and he is now the director of play time.  You'd better NOT build him a block tower without his permission.  He will melt down if you do one tiny thing that interferes with his unspoken plan or bizarre expectation...the other day I got up to shut the door to the back yard and he was so wounded by it!  He wanted the door open, I suppose.  Or wanted at least the option of going outside.  With every huge forward leap in development I spend a period of time feeling totally overwhelmed, wondering who this strange creature is in my bed, then there is a period of relative calm before it starts all over again.  Such is the nature of childhood!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#8 of 10 Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

I'm always happy when something I post makes someone laugh or smile.  I'm a clown. 

We just experienced a couple of new-to-us toddlers that had some real jealously issues.  They were both only children.  One set of parents handled things in a manner that I will remember and try to copy, so that just encouraged me to keep making playdates;  playdates will help her avoid that only-child syndrome until she has a sibling, and playdates will allow me to see parenting in action, and steal good techniques.

The big-thing she was working on by not sleeping was walking.  She's been taking the random 2-3 steps here and there.  Then she claps for herself.  orngbiggrin.gif

#9 of 10 Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

So I'm excited to see if she's about to start walking... for us, super-bad nights are always the harbinger of some big, big development.

Us, too!  Although lately it's entered a whole new realm of weeks of it...but I digress.

Toddlerhood started here around 9 months with total toddler tantrums (they were kind of cute, haha).  He started walking about 10.5-11 months.  Another indicator for us that he was about to bust a new move was the SCREAMING!!!  It was unreal.  He rarely truly screams in a glass-shattering pitch (he prefers loud indignant crying and shouting) unless he's about to hit some developmental milestone.

Now DS is nearly 18 months so we are at it again, busting out new words/phrases every day, and new level of independence - he has to pick out his own snacks, feed himself, dress himself, put his diaper together (inserts, cover, etc.) himself, take himself to the big potty (he even wants to do the wiping!), walk up and down stairs by himself, and on and on.  He tries to "read" - he'll even pull my books off the shelf and turn the pages thoughtfully with furrowed lil brow, pause for a moment (as if reading), say, "Wow!" then flip further in, hahahaha.  So this latest switch seems overnight, too!

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#10 of 10 Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

I'm always happy when something I post makes someone laugh or smile.  I'm a clown. 

We just experienced a couple of new-to-us toddlers that had some real jealously issues.  They were both only children.  One set of parents handled things in a manner that I will remember and try to copy, so that just encouraged me to keep making playdates;  playdates will help her avoid that only-child syndrome until she has a sibling, and playdates will allow me to see parenting in action, and steal good techniques.

The big-thing she was working on by not sleeping was walking.  She's been taking the random 2-3 steps here and there.  Then she claps for herself.  orngbiggrin.gif

Cross-posted - congrats!!! orngbiggrin.gif  It took DS about four weeks to go from 2-3 tentative steps to all out running, so get ready! winky.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page