Play dates for one year old, Where should I look? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a little one that will be 13 months old and I have few friends that have babies about the same age as mine. And if they do, they live to far away. My daughter is an only child and she is already trying to be that social butterfly, any suggestions ?

Mommy fo one, hubby and dog; suffers from Depression & Fibromyalgia; First Year Nursing Student!
#2 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM

When DS was that age, I had good luck meeting like-minded mamas through LLL, sometimes a Meetup Group.  Attachment Parenting, Int. also has group meetings that you may find some play dates through. 

Hope this helps!

'09   
#3 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Where do you live?

You might try posting in your tribe, or searching for "playgroup" for your area on google. A lot of playgroups have facebook groups that are private, but if you search in google they come up (but not on facebook). 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 15 Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 AM

I found our friends through the free story hour at our local library. 

I've also met other mamas just being at the playground, getting our play on.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#5 of 15 Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM

I met 2 now-close friends through the story time at our library. We started a playgroup through a local parenting center and a few more people joined. That was about 6 years ago and we still get together.

You might also try an LLL meeting if there is one near you.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#6 of 15 Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 AM

My 2-year-old and I are apart of a meetup group on meetup.com. The group's focus isn't natural family living, but it is still nice to have a small community with kids all around the same age.

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

#7 of 15 Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM

When my son was younger and I were living with no family in the immediate area, I joined the moms group on meet up.com in the area that I was living at the time. I had a lot of fun with meeting other local moms and my son also enjoyed the play time with other children as well. 

Good luck! 

#8 of 15 Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andee View Post

My 2-year-old and I are apart of a meetup group on meetup.com. The group's focus isn't natural family living, but it is still nice to have a small community with kids all around the same age.

Where I live there are mommy meetups for all different ages and parenting styles. I definitely suggest checking out meetup.com

But try facebook, too. The meetup I enjoy most moved to facebook in order to avoid the meetup.com fees. I've seen many other groups do that, too. So just search your area and "moms group" "play group" "toddlers" etc.

Good luck finding a group :)

#9 of 15 Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Yea - library time, any of the museum events for kids your DC's age, playground and etc. Go back to the same event over and over so people start to recognize you. Also, once you meet just one person, set up a meeting and ask that other parent to invite others. If you're willing to host or organize -- it's a grea t way to get to know folks better. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#10 of 15 Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all for the comments, i will try that. I think it's hard to find other serious parents about play groups because mine is only 1 year old.. Do you think I might be starting her out a little to early?

Mommy fo one, hubby and dog; suffers from Depression & Fibromyalgia; First Year Nursing Student!
#11 of 15 Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I think at this age the playgroup is as much for your benefit as hers.  I really loved having a playgroup at that age.  My daughter behaved very differently in the group setting than she did just at home with me, and she even started to make little "friends."  The babies didn't play together too much, but loved sharing each other's snacks.  I definitely don't think it's too early.  If you can't find a playgroup, you can also look into playschool-type things.  We have a few of these in our area, but they're tricky to find.  They're generally just a big space set up with a bunch of toys and open hours for kids to drop in and play for a nominal fee.  Ours are usually at a church, but not necessarily run by the church. 

#12 of 15 Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I'm realizing a lot of my 1-y.o DD's clinging/whining times around the house during the day are probably that she is bored.  If we go out someplace where she can crawl around in a new enviroment, and especially if there are other kids around, she is happier for the whole day.  I'm sure evry little one's personality is different- some kids might get overwhelmed by that- but if your kiddo likes it, go for it!

#13 of 15 Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM

http://www.meetup.com In my city, there are several mom's groups including an awesome AP one. I just love Meet Up!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#14 of 15 Old 10-11-2012, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be2011 View Post

thank you all for the comments, i will try that. I think it's hard to find other serious parents about play groups because mine is only 1 year old.. Do you think I might be starting her out a little to early?

No, but you and your parent peers are probably just getting to the phase where they feel like they need this. You may be a tiny bit ahead of the game so consider making your group (if you choose to start one) for kids maybe under 2. That way you'll get the attention of those of us with 18 month old kids who NEED to do something every day. Start it - they will come. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#15 of 15 Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

No, but you and your parent peers are probably just getting to the phase where they feel like they need this. You may be a tiny bit ahead of the game so consider making your group (if you choose to start one) for kids maybe under 2. That way you'll get the attention of those of us with 18 month old kids who NEED to do something every day. Start it - they will come. 

yeahthat.gif

I wish I had started doing play dates with my son when he was a year old. I am a WOHM, but I didn't really have any other moms to connect to. And I wanted other children the same age as Danger to be around, but I didn't know any.

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page