2 yr old girl - Mine problem - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 23 male and I have a 22 yr old female and her 2 yr old daughter living with me.  The mother and I are close friends and so I look at the 2 yr old as daughter.  I show her as much care as I feel I should.  The problem is, she says mine to me for everything.  "How are you Ava?" "My blankie", "Can I see the papers (that's she's holding)" "Mine", "Did you have fun today?" "Mine", "I'm not trying to take anything away from you Ava" "Mine".  It's almost like she's either scared of me taking her toys and comfort items away or she doesn't understand the word and it's meaning but knows it provokes a reaction.  Of course, "Mine" is a word that when used, the individual shouldn't be diciplined, but she has to learn the word's meaning and that it's not a word to use in replacement for all other words.  I would love to figure out a way to break this pattern.  Is there something I'm missing?  The mother is also kinda getting annoyed and frustrated at this.  Any help in this department would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. She's at the right age to be learning about ownership and object permanence/impermanence and still has no concept of sharing.

I imagine she's answering all questions with "mine" because that's the most important thing to her at the moment. It doesn't mean she won't learn the correct use and meaning of the word. She just has other priorities :-)

If you want to you could say "actually that belongs to [insert your name] but you can hold it" or whatever but I wouldn't persist if it upsets her. Unless it is something that she isn't allowed to have. In which case Id take it away, briefly tell her why and empathise with the disappointment.

She'll have a new favourite word soon :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
"mine" is currently the bane of my existence. DS is 2 years 2 months & he says it for EVERYTHING. I cannot wait for this phase to end.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please ignore typos!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#4 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's a pretty normal phase kids go through, so I wouldn't stress over it too much.

What you could do is ask if you could see HER blankie/toy/dress/doll/whatever... Hold it, hug it, praise it - and give it right back, telling her something like "Thank you for letting me see your... insert item." As she gets more comfortable with this, you can extend the time.

BUT... How long have they been living with you? It could well be if it's been a short time, she just isn't ready to trust that you will take adequate care of her stuff - and her. In which case - tread slowly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page