Time-ins for toddlers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am needing some discipline strategies for my 2.5 year old. Things are not out of control, but she occasionally hits, bites, or throws things as us, and we want to have a better way to respond.  I know that we are less likely to react in the moment if we have a plan of what we'll do, but we just haven't been able to pick a plan and stick to it. 

I've heard of time-in, but I have not been able to visualize how this works with a toddler.  Is anyone using this or a similar technique? I tried to put my toddler on my lap when she seemed out of control yesterday and was hitting me.  However, holding her on my lap resulted in her having a tantrum on my lap, as I struggled to hold her as she kicked/hit me and screamed for my partner to rescue her.  Surely this is not what's meant by time-in.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to respond to hitting by bringing a child closer, rather than putting them at a distance (time-out)? What do you do if bringing a child closer results in a tantrum?  Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We use time-ins! DS (2.5) is a very *spirited*, high-needs kiddo. He easily gets frustrated and worked up, and usually has at least a few tantrums per day. I've found that often the best thing I can do for him is to remove him from whatever situation he's in--what we call "time-out." It's not a punitive, "you've been bad" type thing, it's just helping him learn to recognize that he is out of control and needs a break. If DS is having a tantrum or hits a friend, I pick him up gently and take him to his room. I don't remove his toys or even close the door. He's free to come out whenever he wants, but if he's still screaming or throwing things, etc, I pick him up and return him to his room. Often, he quiets down as soon as I leave and starts to play. 

If DS is not out of control and is just testing limits, I usually use different techniques. For example, if he throws a block and I ask him not to and he does it again, I first try to redirect him. Like, "sweetie, we don't throw blocks, but you can throw this soft ball." If that doesn't work and he continues to do it, I usually just walk into a different room to diffuse the situation (as long as DS isn't in a dangerous position.)

I think each child needs different discipline. For DS, it doesn't work for me to hold him through his tantrums---it just makes him more upset. And truthfully, my blood begins to boil after listening to him scream in my ear for more than a few minutes. Often I will say, "Mama needs a time-out" and go into a different room to calm down. As long as the message your sending is "I love you and I'm here for you when you're ready..." I think time-outs, or time-ins, are ok.  

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#3 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel for you - I'm also trying to come up with a consistent strategy.  Lately, when my daughter is having a tantrum, she throws things around and screams "I want to make a mess".  I take her into her bedroom and close the door, and stay in there with her.  I have tried leaving, but she always just follows me and keeps screaming.  I sit quietly on the chair in her room and tell her that she can come over to me when she's ready to talk and have a hug.  Since her main tantrum behaviour lately has involved throwing things and screaming, I've told her that if she needs to do that she can throw stuffed animals in her bedroom.  I don't know if this is a good idea (any input would be appreciated:), but it does seem to defuse the situation - somehow the throwing loses it's appeal a bit when it is mama-sanctioned.  If I try to hold onto her, she gets even more upset - it seems like she needs to move around to work through her emotions.  So, I suppose my version of "time-in" is to stay present and available, but to remain quiet as she works through things.  

#4 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I think it's okay not to have a "consistent" response to your daughter's misbehavior.  I know with my daughter, the best response depends on a lot of factors including her overall mood, whether or not there are any factors like hunger or exhaustion, whether she's making a play for attention, etc.  I tend to do a time-out thing when I feel like she's just unable to handle herself anymore and needs to break herself out of a cycle.  Particularly if I'M angry, I do a time-out/time-in combo.  I sit her in the chair for a minute or two, take that minute to calm myself, then pull her onto my lap for some snuggles.  This does NOT work if she's having a tantrum or generally upset.  Then I stay close and tell her I'm available for a hug whenever she's ready.  For things like hitting and biting, it's usually enough to give her a cool "You're not allowed to hit me" and walk away.  She's an attention junky, so this a tough consequence for her.  Otherwise, so far natural consequences and redirection to a similar activity (as other have mentioned) seem to work best. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page