My 3 year old nephew can spell words. Is he a genius? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

My three year old nephew can spell all words. Can I consider him as genius. Can you share where your toddlers are with spellings. Do they pick up on spellings once they are in kindergarten or do they need to be taught before sending them to kindergarten.

Can you share your experiences.

Thank you!

#2 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not a genius. 

Kids learn differently. Some faster than others. 3 is kind of early to be able to tell how smart a person is going to be.

#3 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's exciting that he can spell words, whether it means he's a genius or not! At that age, I think the best thing to do is watch and marvel at what children can learn.
#4 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My three year old can spell her name, except when she gets excited and gets it out of order. She does that with numbers too - they're things she knows by rote, and doesn't necessarily understand yet.

Kids absolutely do not need to be taught to spell before kindergarten. It's not even really a kindergarten thing - spelling is a skill that depends on a bunch of other linguistic concepts. Kids have to read and write with a certain amount of fluency first. And then there's the darned English vowels, which can all sound like pretty much anything...

As far as I'm concerned, aunthood entitles you to consider your nephews and nieces geniuses. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page