brushing teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to get some advice on making a fun time of brushing teeth with my son who is 6 years old. We are having a bit of a struggle when it comes time for morning and night of brushing and I am in need of some HELP...I feel like I am just repeating myself over and over and not being heard! Please let me know your comments and thoughts...Thanks! :)

#2 of 3 Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I always send folks here, to Dr. Laura's advice on toddler tooth brushing: [=http://www.ahaparenting.com/ask-the-doctor-1/how-to-get-toddler-to-brush-teeth?A=SearchResult&SearchID=5297307&ObjectID=3594596&ObjectType=35][/] ( I am on mobile if that link doesn't work go to www.ahaparenting.com and search under "how to get a toddler to brush teeth")

What worked for us for awhile was asking him what was in there and open so we could see, and I would look and say "Is there a dump truck in there?! Oh wait, I think I see a giraffe, let me get him!" That kind of thing, and he was amused and would open up. It also helped somewhat when I made a game out of it and asked him to brush my teeth and then pretended like I didn't want to and ran away and made a big scene and let him "get" me as I playfully struggled. He thought that was hilarious and would then open up for a few seconds and I could get a few swipes. He also really liked the banana brush...at first....over time we got quite a toothbrush collection going and now he has about 8 to choose from. He also really likes the Lavera kids strawberry toothpaste.

But honestly we only had moderate success with those things and I thank my lucky stars every day that somehow, overnight, literally from one day to the next, when he was maybe just two or a few months past his birthday....he just started opening up and letting me get a good solid brushing in. Just like that! He always has to do it himself first (which i model as i brush my teeth and he's actually getting kinda good!) and then he lets me do it. I still have to make a big deal out of which toothbrush and sometimes use the old tricks when he is not as willing, but it just isn't a struggle anymore he always opens up. I hope it stays this way! I also think this was made possible because I rarely ever forced him, I would say maybe once a week or even less than that, I would just say ok we're doing this and hold him firmly on my lap and do it while he screamed...but it never felt right. It felt like a violation of trust and I just didn't have the nerve for that every day, I may be wrong but I believe if I had gone down the road of forcing him with brute physical force every day, he would not have had this turnaround to willingness. I feel it's crucial to try very hard everything you can and if you must then occasionally force it but every day.....I wouldn't.

I wish you the best of luck and if nothing else may your child suddenly become cooperative as mine did....it does happen, take heart!
Detcb likes this.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 3 Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
BTW I just noticed your child is six. You may have better luck posting this in the childhood forum. The usual toddler tricks probably won't work for an older child.......

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page