gentle discipline suggestions needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 27 month old son is a sweet boy. We practice attachment parenting and dont believe in time outs rather try to acknowledge and correct behaviours. When he does something wrong-like throw or kick (which isnt daily)-we make him say sorry and walk with him or make him pick it up, ect. When he is mad-he sometimes hits or swats at your face. I have realized he does this when he is more tired than anything else, so I try to avoid that trigger. However now when he does and you try to say, "lachlann, that hurt mama", he squints his eyes and wont make eye contact-he knows it bad but wont even look and then tries to get away to bring a toy (yes great manipulation). Should I force the issue of making him say sorry and look at us? What else can I do to get him to make eye contact and not try to dodge us. Typical Gemini behaviour I might add. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I generally do the opposite with hitting issues.  Instead of trying to engage her, I put her right down, say something like "You may not hit me, even if you're mad" and walk away disinterestedly.  I've never done much with "hurt" because I feel like it's not terribly meaningful to my daughter.  It's like saying not to do something because it makes a mess, or because we'll be late for something.  She understand that that's why, but she doesn't understand why those things are bad.  Losing my attention for a moment - THAT she understands.  And it's a natural consequence, since nobody wants to hang out with someone who might hit them. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page