New Baby/ Big Brother/sibling book that shows mom breastfeeding new baby...? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-17-2012, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son really responds to books when we are introducing changes. He loves books and reading and this is one way we've found that he really starts to understand what is going on and it's easy to read them over and over and really get the message home with him.

So we are looking for new baby or big brother books to read to him to slowly get him ready for the new baby that will join our family in April.

But all the books I look at show parents giving the baby bottles and don't talk at all about mummy breastfeeding the new baby. I'd really like to find a book that shows this or talks about it. Anyone have any suggestions???

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#2 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure there are more out there, but I know "Baby on the Way" by Dr Sears includes homebirth and breastfeeding along with hospitals and bottles.   http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Way-Sears-Children-Library/dp/0316787671

#3 of 7 Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM

We have "My New Baby" by Fuller. It is a board book, bought on Amazon. It shows mom nursing twice, not it too much detail though (sometimes my 18mo signs 'milk' when she sees it and sometimes she looks at it like 'uhhh what??'). We like this book a lot, it also shows babywearing. I read the reviews of the other books in the series and didn't think they were as worthwhile for our family.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#4 of 7 Old 10-20-2012, 05:28 PM

I can second "My New Baby." My son loved that one. We often didn't use the given text, saying instead, "What is the big brother doing? Oh, he's singing? Look, see, the baby is sleeping. Babies can't sing." We did everything we could to emphasize the cool stuff that big brothers can do but babies can't. Now that our baby is here, he likes to tell her, "You can't have a cookie, because you are a baby."

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#5 of 7 Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM

"What Baby Needs" by Bill and Martha Sears is an AP-minded introduction to life with a newborn for preschool-aged older siblings. It presents breastfeeding as the norm and mentions that babies need to nurse frequently, etc.  My toddler enjoys that book and loves the Searses' The Potty Book, which has a full-page illustration of a nursing infant.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#6 of 7 Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 AM

There's also a book called "Everywhere Babies," that, while not explicitly for older siblings, is about babies in general and has pages dedicated to eating and being carried that show nursing and lots of babywearing. I could see it being a good way to get a young child excited about a sibling. It's a sweet board book with nice illustrations--my DD loves it. It also shows same-sex and interracial families.

http://www.amazon.com/Everywhere-Babies-Susan-Meyers/dp/0152053158

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#7 of 7 Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies! Will look into these suggestions.

One I found that DS seems to like alright is called We Have a Baby by Cathryn Falwell.

The family looks kind of ethnic which is nice for us and the big sibling looks like it could either be a boy or girl. It also shows the mum nursing. The text is really simple and short and we always expand on it. It's shows how the older sibling can help take care of the baby and how the baby will both give and receive lots of love from everyone in the family. The older sibling is shown receiving lots of affection and attention at the same time as the baby. It's nice.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page