Potty Pause? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son (turned 2 in May) had a lot of interest in the potty when he was about to turn 2 and so we started just letting him use the little potty whenever he wanted to and he was doing really good. He would run around naked most of the day because he did not want to wear his diapers anymore so we took him to pick out underwear and he really took off with it. We were surprised but went with it, he still would have accidents but we did not mind cleaning them up and he really seemed to be getting the knack and potty training. Toward the end of living in that house he was getting where he never had accedents at home...just maybe in public. 

Then we moved into our new house. I was prepared for a "potty pause" and so when he decided he no longer wanted to use the bathroom we were not surprised. He was happy and so we just asked him regularly if he needed to go, kept him in underwear or naked, and cleaned up a lot of messes. We started reading books on the potty and just trying to spend time in the bathroom to get him back into it. We never forced the issue, I figured when he was settled in he would go back to it. He would occasionally go to the potty and often went outside for some reason but we were mainly having accidents. It has been a month since we moved into our home. I'm not to worried about it, he is very young still, but any tips. This morning he suprised us by going poop in the potty on his own. He just went to the bathroom, went poop, dumped out the potty into the big toilet, flushed, and came and asked me to help wipe him. That is exactly the way he used to be so maybe we are about to get back into the swing of things? Any tips to help him without being forceful? I feel like this is not something we should really push and should follow his lead on. We recently got him a stool and a converter so he could sit on the big toilet, but he seems to prefer the little one so it is still out for him. 

#2 of 2 Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

One of my children was completely potty trained when she stopped using the potty for a full six months because we had to change her child care. It was a little frustrating, but I knew she'd get back to it.

I'm a firm believer that a well nurtured child really doesn't need any help to continue on the pottying journey. Once they know the mechanics of the what needs to happen, it is just up to them to choose it, and 99.9% of the time, kid's own developmental urges get them there just when they need to be there, regardless of what we do.

I would suggest just continuing to notice with happiness when your child does use the potty and not make any issue out of accidents or when the choice is not to use the potty.

It will come along!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page