transitioning to room sharing to make room for a new baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're TTC#3 which means DDs would need to share a room when a baby comes.  They're currently 5.5 and 3.  I really want to do this in the easiest and kindest way possible.  They've been sleeping in the same room since this summer, but still have distinctly their own rooms with their own stuff in them.  They're sleeping in DD2's room.  I was thinking DD1's might be better for them to share since it's a little bigger and a girl color, but I'm open to anything that would make it go smoother.

DD2 isn't great with transitions.  When I removed the front of her crib she yelled, "mommy, you broke my bed" for a week.  She also seems to enjoy being the baby.

I expect DD1 to be excited about a baby.  She's generally very good about sharing, but I think she might need some sort of private spot to keep some of her things.

Thanks for any ideas.

#2 of 3 Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

When we moved dd and ds officially in together (ds slept in my room until he was almost 2) we totally redid the room, painting, new bedding, etc.  They also got to move into the bunk beds, which dd was super excited about and helped her be okay with the idea of sharing.  Even if you can't afford to buy new stuff, maybe even just emptying the rooms and then rearranging everything as  you put it back with their combined things might help it feel more like "their" room instead of one girl moving into the other's room.  Hope that helps!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#3 of 3 Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think the easiest way to do it is with a large rather than small change. Take the opportunity to move everything into a a harmonious attractive arrangement. Start with getting rid of stuff/storage, then start from scratch. This is a good time for new linens or furniture and newly arranged shelving and storage. A night or two of camping out in one of the other rooms might help too as you work on the space. 

DS (5) was really excited to have a new room shared with his sister (3). He never really liked being alone anyway. DD was still cosleeing full time after transitioning from toddler bed next to our bed. There was a very minor adjustment when she started to sleep there and cough, it didn't take long for her to figure out that she could get down the hallway pretty quickly to us either. 

It was a mess for a few days as we switched them into the bigger room, got new furniture, got new curtains, got new bedding, redid all of the clothes and toy storage, and even put up some new art. It is a really lovely space now and great for a blended boy/girl since DS is the type who will happily have pink sheets. 

If possible, I would leave the other room more or less empty or filled with ugly unfun storage for the short term. Don't make the baby space special yet if you can. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page