my 14 month old keeps hitting my 4 year old! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 14 month old DS is always hitting my 4 year old DS on the head with toys. He has really hurt him a few times and the 4 year old gets resentful and hurts the little one as well. Just wondering if there are gentle parenting ideas.

Also wondering if anyone elses 14 month old has this type of behavior. My first has Aspergers, so we never got an idea of what is typical for a baby.

My 14 month old also can not sit still for one minute, is into everything and is always getting hurt. He bashes into things. climbs all over the place - does not stop for one second!

Any advice would be appreciated!

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#2 of 5 Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

I'm really enjoying this Louise Aimes book about "Your 2 Year Old". So much so that I wish I had gotten the books for the younger ages. One adorable thing she said is that 18 month olds seemingly learn through their feet - referring to how they run around all over the place. 

Normally, I would have said that you should task your 4 year old with protecting himself and modeling gentleness to your 14 month old but I'm not sure if that expectation is appropriate for a 4 year old with Aspergers. 

I think 14 months is only really going to be receptive to your modeling gentleness and just watching to be sure he doesn't hit is brother. Of course you could do things like "baby proof" him in a way so that he doesn't have any toys that could really hurt your 4 year old.

That's what I've got. orngbiggrin.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I can try both ideas.

Sounds like a great book. I think I read "Your Three Year Old" by the same author.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

#4 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does he talk at all? At that age my son would hit alot because he was actually trying to communicate and then would get frustrated when he didn't know the word or no one could understand him. He would hit other kids in daycare, when really he wanted to play with them but didn't have a way to tell them.

We worked on sign language for "play" and "help" and other main words he didn't know already. It really helped with the hitting.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#5 of 5 Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

He doesn't talk yet, but I can tell he is trying really hard. I think you are right. Come to think of it, he mostly hits when my 4 year old is playing. He walks over with a toy and bangs it on his head repeatedly. Im going to try havgin my 4 year old take the toy and play together with him. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page