tips on moving to toddler bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The plan is to change out the rails on her convertible crib on Friday. She is 33 months and hasn't climbed out yet but is quite obviously big enough to do so and it has left us worried about her getting hurt so we have decided to make the move this weekend. We have been reading books about it and got her a new blanket set to open as a gift on Friday. She is excited. Anyone have tips on how to deal with issues that i KNOW are going to come up? We plan to put a gate in the door since i'm afraid she would go out the front door of the apartment (she can open it on her own) but how do we keep her in her bed? Also what if she starts waking up in the middle of the night again to play in her room? Do we ignore her until she goes back to bed and let her figure it out on her own or do we keep going back in there to tuck her in? Any tips? TIA!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM

This process was a whole lot easier than I ever suspected.  I credit most of that to the fact that we waited until DD was three, which is basically what you all have done.  We prepared her by telling stories about sleeping in a big girl bed and what that means.  DD did run around for a bit and enjoyed the freedom in her room, but once the novelty wore off she stopped doing it so I never pushed the issue.  We do still have a gate up, although she can climb over it easily.  Still, it acts as a clear boundary for her so I do recommend that. 

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#3 of 13 Old 11-05-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish11 View Post

This process was a whole lot easier than I ever suspected.  I credit most of that to the fact that we waited until DD was three, which is basically what you all have done.  We prepared her by telling stories about sleeping in a big girl bed and what that means.  DD did run around for a bit and enjoyed the freedom in her room, but once the novelty wore off she stopped doing it so I never pushed the issue.  We do still have a gate up, although she can climb over it easily.  Still, it acts as a clear boundary for her so I do recommend that. 

Good to hear! So when she did get up to explore did you go in and tuck her back in again or did you just let her decide when she needed to lay down?

#4 of 13 Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 AM

I would let her decide.  Coming in and tucking them back in feels like a game to them.  She'll want you to do it every night 7 times a night.

If you really think she'll play in the middle of the night, you can always decrease the toys in the room.  We switched much earlier, so I removed everything that could be a hazard or a mess (baby wipes, rocking chair, trash cans, etc.).  Some of my friends have really amazing pictures of completely trashed rooms, so keep a camera handy.  :)

#5 of 13 Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 PM

We did let her be. I did not want it to be a game as 3to5 points out. I also completely agree on the toys idea. We have only one toy in the kids' room. Lots and lots of books but just one toy. We discovered that what she mostly did with her newfound freedom was change pajamas smile.gif

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#6 of 13 Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 PM

DS (2yo) just moved to a toddler bed. I keep the child-proof doorknobs on our front and back door at night, just in case he was to wake up and try to go outside. During the night he has woke up and came into our room and totally surprised me. However he has not gotten up during the night and started playing in his room (knock on wood). He does wake up from naps and in the morning and play in his room, we have a baby monitor, so we can see whathe is doing.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#7 of 13 Old 11-07-2012, 12:34 PM

Go toddler bed!  My daughter is finally sleeping in hers on her own at night.  But we had to put it in our room because her younger brother is a great sleeper but she was keeping him up at night (she falls asleep an hour later).  Anyhow, good luck with the transition - it sounds like you are doing everything right and the idea of a gift blanket is GREAT!  What made me want to answer your post, though, is the apartment door.  My daughter went out the front door one time at 6am (we were both asleep), busted out the front yard gate and started walking up the street, looking for me (who knows why?).  I was awakened to my neighbor banging on my front door, and it was the freakiest thing ever.  I was shaking.  We got a slide lock on our front door after that, way up top so she can't get to it.  Anyhow, maybe you should look at putting something like that, or a chain lock on your front door!

#8 of 13 Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermomglenn View Post

We got a slide lock on our front door after that, way up top so she can't get to it.  Anyhow, maybe you should look at putting something like that, or a chain lock on your front door!

This was my thought exactly! If you can't lock the door from the inside then get a chain lock. Problem solved!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#9 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

This was my thought exactly! If you can't lock the door from the inside then get a chain lock. Problem solved!

i wish i could! i talked to the apartment complex and they wont let us do anything. They need to get in in case of fire. We had a nifty little thing that made the door handle hard to pull down from the inside but it only worked for so long, if she hangs her body weight off it it still opens. The only solution other then the gate would be to put the vacuum cleaner in front of the door. She can't move it but it would roll forward if someone tried to come in (fireman) but we will just stick with the gate for now. Thankfully moving to a house this summer so it is temporary and i will get a dead bolt on our front door as soon as we move for sure!

#10 of 13 Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you're worried about your kid escaping, and you have a door handle that locks on the door to his room, just flip the lock around so that it's on the outside.  Did that with my son's door, so I wouldn't have to worry about him accidentally locking himself in the room.  It also means you can lock the door from the outside, and don't have to worry about a junior escape artist.  (I always worry about this since we had a neighbor once whose three year old used to escape from the house all the time).

#11 of 13 Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

First, I have to state that some states have laws against locks & kiddos (Oregon is emphatic about chains, locks, etc.). Enyhoo, that said, I broke the laws :) DH changed the alignment of the door so it opened out instead of in (maybe a contractor would notice, but I don't see any difference... although we own our home, so you can't do that in a rental). And we had a "Club" that goes under the door-handle so DS couldn't push out. It seemed incredibly harsh. But honestly we didn't use it much at all. The first night DS was so excited to be in his new bed, he didn't get up. We found a nightlight (which he still uses) that projects the solar system on the ceiling, I snuggled with him for about a minute - enough for snuggles, but not enough that mommy was going to sleep with him, said goodnight to him, turned on the music, and goodnight to the moon as well. Night #1 was easy. Night #2, he came out once, right back in. Night #4 the club came, and had to for the rest of the week.  And then he was over it.

We never needed it again. He *got* it.

Now he's fighting to Go To Sleep, for the first time in his life, yet when he gets in his bed and the solar system is up and the music on... I've never Once heard him up playing in his room. It's just never happened.

As far as house locks, we have chains up high and I have to keep them on during the day as well since he's figured out all dead-bolts.

Have you tried the child-proof door-knob that has the two-sides you squish in? DS figured that out immediately but I have a friend who's duct-taped around the whole circular part. Adults can still find the two parts to squish in, but when we were at their house the other day, DS Could Not get it.

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
#12 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 AM

Honestly, I'd skip the toddler bed and go straight to a "real" bed - twin size or more. DS was in a toddler bed at 18 months due to space issues (otherwise we would have gone straight to a twin). never had any issues with him getting out of bed, but bc that was a 2 story house, the door stayed shut, or there was a gate at the doorway.  When we moved, he was just over 2, and into a one story house, he's got a full size bed. He has only just in the last couple months (so maybe around your daughter's age - 33 months? his 3rd birthday is next week) started getting out of bed, and then only in the mornings. otherwise when he wakes at night, he just cries out fo one of us.

I am not worried at all about him trying to get out of the house; he hasn't figured out yet how to unlock doors - and I don't mind him getting out of bed, as it's not been an issue really yet.

FWIW: we just transitioned DD (13 months) to her own big bed on the floor, no issues, she loves it! though she is far more prone to get out of bed and come find us if she wakes up than her brother is. Thankfully I am a light sleeper, and being 24 weeks pregnant, up often to pee anyway.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#13 of 13 Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone for all of your replies and advice. It's been over a week and she is doing amazing in her new bed. She loves it and for some reason doesn't get out of it on her own haha. I'm sure this will change at some point but i'm still happy because i was expecting it to be harder. Glad i waited until she was nearly 3 to move her. We have the gate up in her room and feel like she is safe from busting out of the apartment. Hopefully we will have a better set up when we move in the spring and we can take the gate down at that point.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page