Wiggly toddler, trying to move to a big girl bed. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My DD is 21 months. I am 4 months pregnant, 5 weeks ago she potty trained herself, 3 weeks ago she broke her finger, 2 weeks ago she dropped ALL napping, and yesterday I had to take her clothes shopping because she woke up too big for most of her clothes. She is literally not the same baby she was this whole summer. rolleyes.gif So, my point is, I know she has a lot going on with her right now but for about a month she has been waking 2-3 times a night and she has been sleeping through the night since 8 weeks old. No joke! I know that part of her sleeping issue is because of a healing injury but I don't think that is the main issue. I went to get her the other morning when she was sleeping and she just doesn't fit in her crib and I thought maybe she is just too big and is hitting the sides whenever she moves in her sleep (which she does A LOT). I put our 2 mattress toppers down on her floor and made a makeshift bed and even let her pick out a pillow at the store. She loved it but it was only 2 hours before she was up crying because she rolled off and onto the cold floor. Now these are queen sized mattress toppers. Why is she rolling all the way off them? Is it normal for kids to be so wiggly and move so much in their sleep? This is why we failed at co-sleeping with her, because she was all over the place and can't sleep in one spot.

My main questions are:

1) Why is she waking so much at night?

2) How do I teach her to use a regular bed without her constantly falling off the bed?

3) Should I keep her in her crib until her finger is all the way healed (just for consistency) before moving her to some sort of bed, or can I still try it now.

Thanks! Advice is greatly appreciated.

*I haven't been giving her pain medication at night since it only lasts her 4 hours and didn't seem to do much for her sleep. Just made her complain about being itchy.

*Her finger is healing well and should be healed completely in another 2-3 weeks.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#2 of 3 Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have experience moving to a bed yet - my 19 month old is in a crib still. She is an active sleeper too but one thing that helps keep her a bit more confined is her sleepsack. Her arms are free and she can crawl around and even stand up but it takes more effort and she generally stays put better. I couldn't use one all summer and early fall but now that it's cold again, it helps. We got two identical ones with a doggie print and after bath, potty, storytime we put on doggies and nurse to sleep. We found these for $25 at Winners and they are 18-36 months.

The waking could also be due to the growth spurt a bit. I dont know if you nurse her but you could make sure her belly is very nice and full shortly before bedtime to see if that helps.

I chuckled at your "not the same baby from this summer" line. I can SO relate. 18 month stuff is too short/tight and three shirts I got her in September or later simply WON'T GO OVER HER HEAD!! Truth be told I just gave up and started buying size 3 and 4 stuff. I had hoped to use the sleepsacks next winter too but at this rate I'll be happy if we make it to March lol.

I hope she heals quickly and that this transition goes smoothly for both of you.
#3 of 3 Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I've had success with putting bolsters or a rolled up blanket under the fitted sheet along the edge of the mattress.  Keeps my daughter in bed, and creates a cozy nest for her, too.  My DD has never slept anywhere near through the night, so no advice there :) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page