Separation anxiety and refusing to eat/drink - is this a coincidence? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 12.5mo daughter has started crying inconsolably and not wanting me to leave when I drop her off to the nanny / home daycare (where she has been going since she was 4m and usually happily plays with another toddler or two, and a 7yo after school). She never complained much before, and would wave goodbye to me with a smile, even if she protested a little and wanted an extra hug. Now she just cries and reaches for me as soon as I start to leave. It changed overnight.

Aside from this breaking my heart and probably being developmentally normal, I have another concern -- at the same time, i.e. for the last 2-3 days, she has also been refusing to drink a bottle while she's with the nanny, and hardly eating any of her lunch either (mostly finger foods she likes, since she started insisting on eating by herself a few weeks ago). She is there for 5-7 hours per day, so not eating there means she's starving when I pick her up, and also that she needs to eat again in the middle of the night. The night feeding isn't such a big deal by itself, and it seems important if she's hungry, but it messes up her rhythm even further and we'll have to work to get it back to normal, but only if she'll eat during the day. (Background: we had night weaned completely and she was sleeping through for about 11hrs, only since 11m and after a *very* gentle transition for a baby who was still waking 2-3x/night at 9m). 

Has anyone else gone through this with separation anxiety? She calms down and starts playing within a few minutes after I leave, but she doesn't want to eat at all anymore! What can I do, short of reducing hours to make sure she eats during the day?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page