my toddler suddenly has anxiety about everything! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 19 month old has suddenly come down with a major case of anxiety. It started a few weeks ago and has gotten much worse in the past few days. Today I started to put her in her stroller and she started crying and saying "No, no stroller, too scary!" and freaking out. We cuddled and I talked to her about it and asked her if anything scary had happened in her stroller (she's very verbal) and she said "Yes! Stroller SOOOOO scary, scary dogs, scary cars, scary people!". Then I put her in her car seat so we could drive instead, and after we had driven for a few minutes she started crying and saying that she saw a "scary car, a scary person, scary tree" Then when we came home she started telling me she had "scary poop diaper" and crying and freaking out again. We cuddled and talked about it and I finally figured out that she was scared that when I changed her diaper she was going to get poop on her leg. And those are just examples, it seems like everything is making her afraid recently. She has always had a very happy-go-lucky personality, been very even tempered and interested in everything, and totally free of anxiety. She is very shy, but still has always really liked to do things around other people even if they are outside of her comfort zone. She hasn't had anything traumatic happen, we never yell, or make her feel bad, or make the world out to be a scary place. I am wondering if anyone else has gone through something like this, and how you dealt with it. I have just been comforting her and talking to her about it, and trying to avoid the things that stress her out, but there are some things, like changing poopy diapers, that I just have to do even if she has anxiety about them. Hoping it's just a faze! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page