Learning Tower, anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Maybe this is in the wrong forum?  I'm happy to follow my little thread wherever it needs to go, if that is the case.)

Does anyone have a learning tower?  Did you "get your money's worth" from it?  Does your Little One enjoy being eye-level with the action?

Little Miss is never so attached to me as when I'm in the kitchen, and we're strongly considering purchasing one for her for Christmas.  I'm hoping other mommies have used one and can let me know if it was a good choice for them or not.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#2 of 29 Old 11-14-2012, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We have one and it has been one of our best child-related purchases. I really can't speak highly enough about it. We bought ours when our LO was tiny, because it suited us financially to make a bigger purchase then, and started using it pretty much as soon as she was standing reliably.

She uses it many times a day and often eats in it as well if we are sitting at the kitchen bench. The only downside is that food falls between it and the bench so you have to be fairly diligent about pulling it out and doing a clean-up or you can get a bit of a cesspit happening. But I guess she'd drop food wherever she was so it's not a specifically Learning Tower-related problem.

The only other slight criticism I have, and it wouldn't stop me getting one, is that the dark stain has come off in quite a few places where we've had to scrub caked on food and also on the edges. Ours is a dark colour so it probably wouldn't be so obvious on a lighter one. It's not a huge deal, just a small cosmetic irk.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 29 Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM

My FIL is very handy with woodworking. We basically found a blueprint online, printed it out and said: this is what Kassie would like for Christmas. I'm very excited to get it since DD is very similar: wants to be up whenever I'm cooking or cleaning up. I read lots of positive reviews and didn't really come across any feed back that said a toddler was uninterested. My MIL was very happy that Grampa got a project that gets him away from the TV a bit and it comes out significantly cheaper this way (especially as a gift). If you have a handy relative, it could be something to consider. Honestly if it wasn't for my FIL, we would be buying one.
#4 of 29 Old 11-14-2012, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Not exactly answering your question, but:  I would have loved a learning tower for my "helpful" daughter, but we just didn't have the money or the space in our house for it.  But, now that she's old enough to use it safely, her two-step stool serves the same purpose really well.  I only allow her to put it in one spot in our kitchen where I know she's safe from hazards, but she really loves being up there to see what I'm doing and help out.  Probably spends up to an hour a day in that spot, as I'm sure would be the case with a learning tower, too. 

#5 of 29 Old 11-14-2012, 05:07 PM

We have one, but don't actually use it terribly frequently, when we DO use it I'm glad we have it tho'.  I got it on Craigslist for 1/3 of retail...so it may pay to keep an eye on craigslist.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#6 of 29 Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Best child related purchase I have ever made. I bought one 9 years ago for my oldest child, the same tower is still going strong (but very stained) today with additional 3 children that have used it. I can not count how many times a day I use it. DD1 is far too big for it now but the 6, 3 and 1 year olds climb into it all the time. It is the only way I get any cooking done. 

During one of our moves, it got buried in the garage for a while so I started plopping DD2 on the counter to help. DH put her up there one night to make cookies, she promptly fell off and broke her arm. We've never allowed another kid on the counter since, they just pile into the tower. I keep thinking I would actually love a new one because mine is so beat up. shy.gif

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 29 Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We never had one.  With my kids, the period of time when they were old enough to enjoy standing next to me but too young to stand safely on a chair or stool lasted no more than a few months.

#8 of 29 Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM

We have the Kitchen Helper (same idea as Learning Tower, different brand). We went with that one solely because it folds, and we have a very small kitchen so being able to store it was a huge plus for us. I have to say, though, that in the two years we've had it (we got it before she turned 1 and she just turned 3) it's only been put away a handful of times. We use it every single day and I know we'll be using it for years to come.

#9 of 29 Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM

Our DS is currently standing on his, having a pre-bed snack of applesauce. I built it in an afternoon from online plans, and it cost us about $50. We use it many times a day. I love that its always accessible (unlike a chair; you don't usually leave those pulled up to the counter), and at 15 months he can climb up and down independently. He climbs up in the morning shortly after he wakes up, ready to eat breakfast (handy, as he eats while I pack my lunch for work and make my coffee). Same when we're making dinner, baking, etc--he can independently opt in to the family activity. And if he gets bored, he hops down and heads off to do his own thing. We love it.

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#10 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone want to post a picture of the tower they built?

My husband could build one, he certainly has the tools and the proficiency, however, I'm concerned about when he will build one (I don't need this tower for when she's 15.) and how it will look.  I am house-proud, what can I say?

So you crafty sorts... eh?  eh?  Picture?  Or, if you don't want to post a picture of your house in an open forum, message me and I'll send you my email address and you can send the picture privately. 

It seems like we're either buying or building.  She's too little/clumsy to stand on a stool safely, not to mention, she needs to be corralled.  The foldable model sounds especially awesome as we have a galley-style kitchen, which I love for cooking, hate for storage. 

#11 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 PM

This is the pattern I used: http://ana-white.com/2010/12/helping-tower.html She has an option to make it foldable, too.

They look HUGE in the photos on her site, but are much more reasonable in real life. We have a tiny kitchen, and don't trip over it smile.gif

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#12 of 29 Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadiaMama View Post

This is the pattern I used: http://ana-white.com/2010/12/helping-tower.html She has an option to make it foldable, too.
They look HUGE in the photos on her site, but are much more reasonable in real life. We have a tiny kitchen, and don't trip over it smile.gif
That is the one Grampa is building for us too ... Just not in hot pink ;-)
#13 of 29 Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It is bulky, and heavy, and kind of hard to fit in our kitchen and we use it ALL THE TIME. We have a Waldorf-style painting board stabelized with little plastic feet that just fits over and it has turned into a de facto kitchen island when not in use.

Kids use for cooking and watching and hanging out and indoor jungle gym and also some of the messier art projects that are easier to clean off tile.

I much much prefer the real thing to the "Kitchen Helper" which is too small for too kids and less flexible.

Also, they are very, very easy to sell on Craigs List for a reasonable return on investment but I was never able to buy one that. It seems like they were sold in seconds, even for half price.

We also have the art attachment and that never gets used.

We have as sturdy stepstool that both kids avoid like the plague. 

#14 of 29 Old 11-18-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Haha, the husband-person has begun work.  We'll see how this goes.   ROTFLMAO.gif

I think we are using the ana-white plans, but the foldable option did not look very sturdy.  Our garage is just across the foyer from our kitchen, so worst case scenario, we ditch the tower in there along with the multi-steps when we are not using them.

I'm so excited about this, she's so determined to do everything we do.  It's a little daunting to make all our activities child-sized and safe.

#15 of 29 Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
How cool that your husband is making one. I'm sure you'll all love having it. Your little girl is going to have a ball :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#16 of 29 Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I am excited to have her Papa build it for her.

joy.gif

#17 of 29 Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My hubby made this out of what was being sold as a set of drawers (we live in Europe and around here you can find something similar at just about every big DIY market and furniture outlet). You can see he left the bottom drawer there, which is handy to have, and he sawed out the other shelf thingy that was there. It was so easy to make; he is not a very gifted handyman or anything!

As for usage, our son is 2 1/2 now and we don't use it much but I would like to more, I think I am just lazy about including him when I cook and stuff in the kitchen. It's a great tool to have though, and we have used it for water play at the kitchen sink. The only thing is: I wish it were collapsible for storage. Our kitchen is not huge and it does take up quite a big space.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#18 of 29 Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Lookit how cute your Little Dude is P.J.!  Awesome picture, thank you!  My kitchen is also not large, but we skipped the fold-able option so the entire rig would be more stable.  Our kitchen is not too far from our garage, so I will be able to just chuck it out there when I need the floor space in the kitchen. 

#19 of 29 Old 11-23-2012, 03:42 PM

We got ours as a Christmas gift last year (kids were just over 2 y/o).  I like to say it was a better gift to me than them, because it allows me to get a lot done.  Now... there is a lot of jockeying that goes on between them on the stand these days, and soon we're going to have to either kick them out in favor of little sister, or find some other solution.  (Also... they've started "leaning" over the counter instead of standing on the lowered platform, so that drives me crazy, but we're working on it.)  Ours is on an "unused" side of a "peninsula" area, and actually sits in the dining room... I know a lot of its usefulness is whether your kitchen supports it.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#20 of 29 Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, yes, this is certainly more for me than it is for her.  She's plumb obsessed with doing what Mama is doing.  It makes cooking... interesting.

#21 of 29 Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 PM

I built one for my DD from the ana.white.com plans. 

She is 3yrs and 4 months now. I built it about 2 years ago.

We still get lots of use from it. She can now get up in it and use the sink to wash her own hands and face before and after meals. 

She also likes to help rinse the dishes. And we use it to let her help bake and cook. Which at 3 she is of more help now than before. 

We also use it to hang the dish drying cloth on...and other misc. things.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#22 of 29 Old 11-25-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Oh awesome, so your darling will be getting it about the same age as my darling, and how nice to know it's been in use the whole time.  I need to implement a hand-washing before eating routine (Gross that I haven't, I know.), and of course she wants to be right up in the action while I cook.

With the long break my weekend carpenter says it's nearly ready for inspection.  I'm getting really excited!

#23 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 AM

Ours is great my dd loves using it for playing colours in the sink. Only rec I have is to put a towel on the stAnd bit before any set work as it can be slippery. We bake every day and it is the best investment we have made so far.... Only bummer is livi my in nz meant I had to pay a third of the price again in postage from Australia - Still so worth it it.
#24 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM

We've gotten regular daily use of ours since 18 months and DD is now turning 3. We park it up at the wet bar that has been converted into an art cabinet/space. We also drag it into the kitchen  for food prep. Our only issue is that sometimes DD tries to balance on the edge so we say "Two feet on the tower or the tower goes away" and talk about falling down.

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#25 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

It's done! It's done! It just needs to be stained. I'm so excited, when it's dry I'll take a picture of it for y'all.

It's been so good to hear how much use everyone has gotten out of their tower, and how much their toddlers love it. Also, it's good to know about things like needing a towel on the platform when it's wet... she's a slip and fall accident waiting to happen, my little girl. Today she slipped in her outdoor shoes on the dry, clean sidewalk. Go figure. But I think she's going to LOVE this tower. I can't wait to give it to her!

#26 of 29 Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 AM

Ooh! Exciting! I can't wait to see what Grampa came up with but our big reveal won't be until Christmas. The suspense is killing me lol
#27 of 29 Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Alrighty, I changed my mind about the finish once or twice and finally settled on this beautiful deep blue paint, which will match other trim in the house.  My husband was a little unhappy that I kept needing to see the finished product before changing my mind, but it's finally truly done, and in the house, and here's the result of 9 months of hamburgers and molasses cookies chilling out in it. 

#28 of 29 Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM

Mrsgregory, the tower is beautiful and your kiddo is gorgeous!

We just had ours dropped off by Gramma and Grampa. A little late but just as fabulous!

Here's ours with monkey included joy.gif

AppleMarkAppleMark

#29 of 29 Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Aha, that stain looks similar to one of my first choices!  Your Little Monkey is super-huggable, and Grampa did and awesome job on that tower.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page