non-violent non-sexist/racist children's TV/movies? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
cww

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you so much to everyone for all of the fantastic suggestions!!!  I have a running list of 33 things to check out now, whereas before I didn't really know where to start (apparently I really don't know anything about children's programming outside of what I watched thirty years ago...). :)  Thanks also for letting me know about stuff that is in netflix, hulu, amazon, etc - I had done some browsing but hadn't found most of what was recommended here!

Feel free to keep suggestions coming, if anyone else has something they'd like to add - I'll definitely keep checking back if there are more posts.  

JudiAU, Adaline'sMama and nstewart, I hadn't really thought about these issues specifically since we don't watch any commercials (I think commercials are  much worse than regular programming at reinforcing ridiculous sterotypes and unhealthy societal attitudes!).  I definitely don't want her watching any programs where consumerism or unhealthy habits (like eating sugary, salty or pre-packaged food) are common.  I had forgotten about that, but there have been some books that I have hidden because they have a lot of references to shopping and/or candy...  I guess I don't care as much if the show itself is highly marketed just because we don't watch commercials and don't spend time in stores much, so I don't think we would ever actually see that it was being marketed.  

cynthiamoon, you make a good point about the importance of significant discussion around these issues.  I have read about the studies cited in the Newsweek article also - I agree that it is a very interesting read.  My goal isn't to shelter our daughter from the real world, but rather to restrict her exposure to negative stereotypes while she is still pretty pre-verbal and too young to go into these issues in depth. I am also aware of a bunch of psych and education literature that shows that repeated recent exposure to stereotypes and other negative group imagery produces stronger subconscious biases, and so I do feel that limiting the amount of negative stereotype imagery that we are exposed to is good for all of us.  I think there is a difference between ignoring race and gender and wanting to limit unnecessary exposure to societal stereotypes that we feel are unreasonable and harmful.  For us 22 months is a bit too early for us to get into deeper discussions of race and gender, but we do plan to talk about these issues more in another year or so.  

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions!  I am so grateful for all of these great ideas!

DD born at 40w2d on 1/19/2011
DD born at 40w1d on 3/1/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i looove netflix!

sid the science kid is great for being educational, gentle, and progressive race and gender roles

shaun the sheep

pingu- good gender roles

GREAT movie is ponyo

wallace and gromit

Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbutton View Post

What about Caillou? We like it because it's completely innocent and is actually meant for toddlers. There is gentle parenting, no propaganda, and nothing violent or alarming to worry about.

This, exactly.  All three of mine have loved Caillou, our all-time favorite being Caillou's Holiday Movie.  Interestingly, I've noticed that my non-gentle parent friends, as a group, do not like Caillou at all.  Those who parent like we do have children who love it, and appreciate it themselves.  It's really an odd phenomenon to me.

Brackin
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM

Kipper
Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 AM

I've got to chime in here and say NO WAY to Caillou. For the record we are totally gentle, attached, non-violent communicative types. Just wait until you get to the bed bugs and afraid at night episode. My daughter had issues from that show and although it held her interest since watching it she's been acting weird and being "afraid" of things she loved just because Caillou had some issue with it. It just introduces too much drama in interpersonal relationships and over emphasizes Caillou's feelings to the point of influencing the audience. Good concept for parents but not really helpful for kids unless they have ONE issue/episode they can look up and watch Caillou manage it.

We like:

Microcosmos (awesome documentary on Netflix)

How it's Made

This Old House

Sesame Street (although I can't stand Abby Cadabby after reading Cinderella Ate my Daughter)

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (but we are just getting acquainted)

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

I researched how parents can raise progressively minded kids and the article "See Baby Discriminate" in newsweek blew my mind and led me to look into what actually works vs. the "color blind" stereotyping is a social construct mentality. From the literature and research, sheltering doesn't work. Discussion does. Uncomfortable discussion. Like "everybody is equal" is gibberish unless you talk about differences vs. value judgements and equality versus diversity as real complex issues. I made a little video of discussion starters (older audience) that might be useful. It's on www.neoapprentice.com; tittle is "cultural identity".

I agree with everything you say here, but I have to agree with the post below from the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cww View Post.  For us 22 months is a bit too early for us to get into deeper discussions of race and gender, but we do plan to talk about these issues more in another year or so.  

Our boy is 2 1/2, very intelligent and linguistically advanced....and there is no way he's ready (in his brain development) to hold an intelligent conversation (that he would remember no less!) about stereotypes, cultural differences, values and the like. At this point it's about teaching through modelling, hence what the OP was asking with this thread and not wanting to expose our young kids to those ideas just yet. But yes, once they're a bit older and able to comprehend more complex topics and hold discussions about it....absolutely these are important things to discuss.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

We exclusively watch Shaun the Sheep at our house, although lately we've been 100% screen-free.  I'd agree with you that moderation is fine, but it's way easier for us to do zero, because if we do even a little bit, even one 20 minutes show a day, it means constant whining for more.  Even that little bit alters his behavior and he gets clingy and loses all ability to entertain himself with his toys.  Most kids probably aren't that sensitive, but it's like for him it immediately up-regulates his sensory input and real life is boring afterwards.

But anyway, my reasons for choosing Shaun the Sheep is that he isn't a mass marketed character, and the show is very quiet and calm (it doesn't even have dialog).  Shows like Yo Gabba Gabba and even Sesame Street are way too loud, bright, and fast I think (at least for my little one).  I must be a little sensory myself, because "flashy" shows give me immediate anxiety.  The mass marketing thing was very, very important to me - I really don't want him to get attached to a character and then want "things" just because they have that character on them.  No whining for Elmo fruit snacks, Spongebob sippy cups, etc.  

And a big bonus - I like watching Shaun the Sheep myself!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 PM
ck1

Harold and the Purple Crayon

We love it! We read the book to our first son all the time. Then one day I caught an animated show on TV (PBS?) and found out you can buy a series on Amazon  - used $8.00 (includes shipping). You can check out a clip on YouTube if you're curious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weNm3CP8IqY. That was our son's first real television experience, he loved the "museum" episode. 

The shows are narrated (by Sharon Stone) with no dialog from the characters. I like that the kids get the feeling they're being "read" to.  

Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 AM

Top toddler shows in our house (and reasons I like them):

- Little Bear (overall peaceful, promotes creativity)

- Harold and the Purple Crayon (imaginative, simple)

- Zaboomafoo (teaches a lot about animals & exploration)

I'm glad to have found this thread as I've been thinking a lot about what my son (2.5) is watching as well. His absolute favorite tv show is Wild Kratts on PBS. I love the show for many reasons and it is truly amazing how much my son has learned about animals because of it...but I really really wish they would do away with the 'bad guys'! The three 'bad' characters that they have rotate episodes display so much disrespect, rude comments, and unkind acts. Even though, as adults, we can understand their role, I don't think it's so clear to a small child. And in any case, I just don't want those things demonstrated to my very impressionable 2 year old. There are a few episodes that none of the 'bad guys' are a part of and those are my favorites. Agh, it's frusterating. Anyway, just my rant and two-cents. =)

Oh, and I also wanted to mention that while I am a very peaceful, attachment-parenting type mama - I also cannot stand Caillou. He's just way too whiny for me. Definitely don't need my toddler learning how to do that! ;-)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Another show I haven't seen mentioned is Maisy (the mouse), which I think would fit your criteria.  There are some videos available on youtube.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitroff03 View Post

Oh, and I also wanted to mention that while I am a very peaceful, attachment-parenting type mama - I also cannot stand Caillou. He's just way too whiny for me. Definitely don't need my toddler learning how to do that! ;-)

I hate Caillou, for many reasons. I find him whiny. I also find the "life is perfect and we're always totally happy, no matter what" vibe really irritating.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:

my reasons for choosing Shaun the Sheep is that he isn't a mass marketed character

I think it is or is starting to be. Someone gave us Shaun the sheep board game. I didn't realize it was a TV show.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I hate Caillou, for many reasons. I find him whiny. I also find the "life is perfect and we're always totally happy, no matter what" vibe really irritating.

Ditto.  The character of Caillou grates on me -- mostly his tone of voice. I actually haven't seen it since my teen was little, but I doubt I'll feel differently now.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Another Caillou hater over here.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 PM

Oh yes! We also love Kipper, Shaun the Sheep, and Pingu! 

We haven't been watching much TV lately as our Son is much more into the iPad and is learning to read playing with it. So his screen time has switched to the iPad for the most part except for some Blues Clues and the occasinal family movie. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM

caillou and martha speaks, older care bears

my kids love these, i have hulu plus, but i think you can watch it on regular hulu. very little commercials and nothing inappropriate

Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM

dinosaur train

angelina ballerina

barney

arthur

rocky & bullwinkle

super why

word world

bob the builder

Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 AM

I'm not 100% sure if all these are on Netflix, but we have a lot of these shows on DVD and cost about $10, so fairly inexpensive if they aren't :)

Backyardigan's, Dora, Diego, Arthur, Sesame Street, Barney, Doc McStuffin's, Mickey Mouse Club House, Bearenstein Bears...

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
cww

Thanks again to everyone for all their suggestions - I keep coming back periodically and updating our list.  So far I quite like Little Bear because I find it so calm without being boring.  It would be nice if the gender roles of the parents weren't quite so traditional, but I love that it is not at all flashy and that the music is relatively peaceful and nice and not grating.  I hadn't really thought about it but two other issues that came up for me as I was looking at more children's programming is 1) so many of them are so loud, fast and flashy! and 2) there is far more mention of cake, cookies, etc on all of these shows than I would prefer (our daughter hasn't really learned about sweets yet and when she does have something, we try to make it not a big deal - but when the characters on TV go on about how great some kind of dessert is, I get a bit uncomfortable about that message...).  We haven't looked at very many of these shows yet, since we try not to watch too much TV in general, but so far we like Little Bear and the older Sesame St. episodes.  The new ones aren't bad - but I do find them a bit too loud and fast for my tastes, and as I think my DD is somewhat sensitive to noise and overstimulation, I always put on the old ones over the new ones.  

I'm trying not to be too uptight, but wow - there are so many things I never paid attention to before I had a kiddo around that I'm suddenly much more aware of... :)

Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cww View Post

2) there is far more mention of cake, cookies, etc on all of these shows than I would prefer (our daughter hasn't really learned about sweets yet and when she does have something, we try to make it not a big deal - but when the characters on TV go on about how great some kind of dessert is, I get a bit uncomfortable about that message...). 

Wonderpets is a weird, weird show...but the snack the characters get super excited about is celery. It actually sparked a bit of a celery binge around here, but it didn't last long. smile.gif

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
cww

I have wonderpets in my netflix queue, but haven't had a chance to watch an episode yet...  I'll have to take a look at one soon. :)

Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM

We love My Neighbor Totoro by Hayao Miyazaki.  The main characters are strong females, and it has amazingly beautiful imagery, and also periods of very slow non-action, which I feel are very helpful in not overly stimulating a little kid.  I have seen Kiki's Delivery Service but did not like it as much myself (although it is also a strong female lead), and do not remember much about it, so I have not shown it to DS yet.  Neither of these are on Netflix but I bought Totoro for myself even before I had a child.  I would definately recommend Totoro unreservedly.  Many of Miyazaki's movies are definately too violent for small children: Princess Mononoke, and Nausica of the Valley of the Wind especially, and Spirited Away (scary, though DS has seen and loves this one - I was able to prepare him for the scary scenes and assure him tha noone would be ultimately hurt) and Howls Moving Castle (war scenes somewhat disturbing), to a lesser degreee, but all have strong female characters and are among my own favorite movies. 

Another favorite is not a kids movie per se, "Microcosmos", but is amazingly beatiful imagery from nature (mostly insects), with almost no speaking (the phenomena seen are not explained in any way, so they can just be enjoyed, although I often wind up looking up diferent events because we become curious about them).  It does show a spider capturing a grasshopper, and I think also ants fighting, and a waterbug chasing other bugs, but none of this has proved insurmountable.  This is actually my go-to when DS is clamoring to watch something, but I do not want him to be glued to a screen for hours.  He finds it amazing and interesting, but since it has no plot and no suspense that lasts more than a few minutes, it is not so engrossing as to completely subsume his other interests.  He will watch for 15 minutes and then run off and play.  It is available on Netflix. 

Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Franklin

Old 12-10-2012, 02:01 PM

Oswald, Wow wow Wubzy, max and ruby, The Backyardigans, Little Bill, Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends, Maggie and the ferocious Beast, Ni Hao Ki-Lan

Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM

The Jetsens, Powderpuff girls, Arthur, The Wild Thornberries, Pingu,

Old 12-10-2012, 02:57 PM

I hear you.. been there done this..

Here is a list that comes from the very same experience and needs, at this particular age this is

what we find very calming and non-violent.

• Dora the Explorer.
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Baby Einstein she loved it up to some 3
  • Curious George - 110 thumbs up!!! this is such a calming and non violent movie for kids that you can't really help but smile. Don't do the big movie though because it has some non-typical elements, canning and that that is TOTALLY absent from the serial Curious George.
  • Baby Genius the same as above
  • Caillou - canadian serial about a boy, a sister his family, super super calm and family value based, teaches a child a good behavior in a good non violent way

by example of family life with calm parents, grandparents and friends and preschool situations, playgorund etc..

• Charile and Lola is nice but too young for that in my opinion as there are some pretty snoty comments and behaviours and something that you don't want to give idea to your young child. I would not start it untill solid 4 years.
  • not my vote - don't like it  - You Gaba Gaba was way to flashy to attention deficit disorderish..
  • Blues Clues - a puppet and a real boy, boy followes clues and gives clues.. teaches shapes, letters etc.. educational and calm.
  • Check the Leap Frog series.. just put on Netflix Leap FRog and there is tons educational cartoons for toddlers.. math, reading, spelling yep.. toddlers.
  • Pingu, amazingly enough there is NO ONE word spoken in any real language but it is spoken in penguineese :) soooo hilarious you will never want to stop watching. Funny
  • Keeper was nice too, don't remember particular plot but it was gentle movie
  • WordsWorld - totally cool phonics movie with real characters anmials so funny and educational, perfect for her age and you will love it!

this should serve you for good three years :) without one single tv channel just Netflix. becuase most of those titels are shows that go on and on and on many seasons and episodes, Dora has some 200 episodes, Caillou some 200, Pingu some 50, Curous George maybe like 500?...

When your child is little naturally don't show any violence but when she will be little she might want to watch something that shows not so much violence

but some conflict solving problems.. for this is good Charlie and Lola, Angelina Ballerina, Diego .. as they show some two sides of conflict

and how the characters manage to solve the problem that is good too as long as it is not too violent for the age and a child can see through the

fiction and understand what is good and what is bad becuase otherwise it would pick the bad attitudes.

Then for older kids Tom and Jerry.. but this is only when a child is really in some 6 or so.. then it is hilarious and safe to watch because

the behaviorus are not going to be copied but only laughed at.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Cactus View Post

We love My Neighbor Totoro by Hayao Miyazaki.

Totoro is one of our family's favorite movies too. Our 3 yo loves it. She likes Ponyo too, although I don't think it's quite as perfect for preschoolers as is Totoro.

The rest of us - dh, our teenager, and me - are big fans of all of Miyazaki's movies. My older dd couldn't handle Spirited Away until she was quite a bit older - 8 or 9 at least - due to some of the imagery but they're all just wonderful films.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM

My little pony and hello kitty. They are 2 of my girl's favorite too.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 PM

DS (27m) watches Sesame Street and Team Umizoomi.

I am looking for other shows that might be good, thank you for this thread.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 PM

For everyone who suggested Dora, is your kid scared of Swiper?  My 2 year old alternates between "Swiper scary mommy" and "oh man, no swiping" and laughing hysterically.

obstruct livery vehicles

User Tag List