Good building toys for a 2-3 year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I want to get my niece some building supplies for a gift. Any suggestions on some good ones for a 2.5 year old with strong play value? 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We love building materials - are you looking for blocks or in general just building kits or something? 

I love the wooden rainbow blocks from Magic Cabin. We had the plain wooden blocks but DS is getting the rainbow colored set for Christmas -- you can find wooden blocks for cheap anywhere really but I splurged on these when I had a coupon + free shipping. They are so so vibrant in color and DS loves to build castles with them. 

Tegu blocks are also pricey but really popular in this house. They are the magnetic blocks -- they make a smaller travel set which would be a neat stocking stuffer and a nice way to see if he's into them. 

DS also love Legos -- he gets the bigger sets and "does them" with DH. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#3 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lego duplo blocks are really wonderful and among the only plastic toys we embrace. You can buy basic bricks for building and then supplement with some animals and people. Or expand to include the real well designed train set, which is again easier to use than wooden train tracks. They last forever and will be in great shape after 1-10 kids play with them. And then you can sell them on ebay for a surprising good return. They are much easier to construct/learn from then traditional wooden blocks or even magna tiles, which are both awesome in their own way. Most pieces are made in Europe. 

Haba and Grimm and Uncle Goose make particularly nice wooden blocks that are durable and non-toxic. And I find that younger children really prefer the more colorful pieces in lieu of plain wooden pieces unless you are buying true unit blocks which are very large. Etsy has a lot of good blocks too but for a younger child remember that more of something is better than less.

#4 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM

My 2 year old, loves plain old wooden blocks, mega blocks, and his trains (building, but not as open ended). 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#5 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, my 2.9 year old loves the bigger duplo blocks & wooden blocks. I also just bought her a Lincoln log house building set for christmas

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#6 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 PM

I finally remembered the name of the raddest blocks every we saw at the Maker Faire.

http://www.murrahwoodcraft.com/pages/thinker-linkers-main.php

My kids were drawn to them and played for a looooong time. They are beautiful! They made a fairy tower, a serving station, a trap for DS :) So enthusiastic and wonderful for indoor play. I wanted to mention them in my original post----we just got the set today as a Christmas gift 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#7 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 PM

My son has wooden blocks from "Discovery toys" they are colorful and have different textures. My boy is 3 and still plays with them in all sorts of ways!

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page