Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mama to Chu born July 2010

Excitedly expecting somebody new in August 2012

#2 of 22 Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Even though it's a pain sometimes, I find it's easier on my own sanity to be proactive (remove things that are a known issue) than reactive (spend my day yelling and cleaning up the same thing over and over).  Since it keeps happening, it's clearly "worth it" to your son to keep doing the same thing over and over again (kids are weird that way).  Sometimes the removal doesn't have to be permanent, just long enough to send a message that enough is enough.

#3 of 22 Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Knocking down and picking up picture frames sounds like a fun game for a toddler! Are the picture frames sitting on the table because they're supposed to be hung, but nobody has done it yet? Then definitely get on with the hanging. Are there picture frames sitting on the table because your parents like having knicknacks all over their house? In that case, you might try pointing out that all those knicknacks are indistinguishable from toys to a toddler. Since knicknacks tend to accumulate through a lifetime, I'm betting that the house wasn't as heavily populated with them when you were a kid.
#4 of 22 Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

To the extent possible, I'd remove the problem.  Definitely take the picture frames off the table. 

There are lots of things that my parents never had to enforce that I *definitely* have to to enforce.  All kids are different.  Just because my mom got through our childhoods without taking certain precautions doesn't mean that I will.

#5 of 22 Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

#6 of 22 Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh bien View Post
My parents had 4 under 7 years of age at one time so I know they know what they're talking about... just not sure how much they REALLY remember ROTFLMAO.gif.

I know!  Sometimes when my mom says something like "we never had to worry about you and the glass fronted book cases when you were that age" I remind her that she didn't get those bookcases till we were ten.

rachelsmama and pickle18 like this.
#7 of 22 Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh bien View Post

My parents had 4 under 7 years of age at one time so I know they know what they're talking about... just not sure how much they REALLY remember ROTFLMAO.gif .

4 under 7? Isn't that shorthand for sleep deprivation? I think you're right to doubt how much they remember. wink1.gif
#8 of 22 Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Yeah, I'd just move those, especially since they are breakable. And I would try moving them temporarily and putting them back and see if the problem has corrected itself. I think you will find plenty of other things to teach them they can or can't touch or play with that you really need to have out to be useful. And 2-3 year old's don't always have the impulse control, even if they know something is wrong, or sometimes they need to test for the 10840921358 time smile.gif

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#9 of 22 Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I don't know where I picked up this motto, but I always say, "If it isn't for play, put it away."  If it isn't something they should have, it needs to be out of their sight entirely (to the extent that that's possible, of course).  I know some people like to "house-proof the child rather than child-proof the house," but for some kids that either isn't possible or is cruel, like eating ice cream in front of your friend on a diet.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#10 of 22 Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM

i think its a balance of letting you kid roam "Yes Zones"  rather than always in "No Zones"

meaning in my house the areas where they spend  the bulk of their time is childproofed and what is out is for them to explore and safe to do so even without me watching.  

for rooms that are no commonly "hung out in" i have more things around that they need to learn to keep their hands off and i think it is actually helpful that they are around that kind of stuff too,

cause now I'm working on helping them learn that self control that is so under developed in a 2 year old.

and rule number 2, 3, 4 & % of parenting is dont compare yourself or your child to others or let folks bombard you with their comparisons either.

there will always be those better and worse, and moms have horrible memories, grandmas doubly so.

either way it bears no relevance on your situation, none, nada.

and for more on the pictures being toys and impulse control with toys i defer to Crappy Pictures she is my patron saint of realistic parenting 

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 22 Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

sometimes my toddler gets in throwing mode and it is too cold/dark whatever to go outside- so he starts throwing things. so I just put together a basket of things he CAN throw (soft or little things) and put him at the top of the stairs and let him throw the things all down and then I pick them up and he does it again. so trying to find other ways to meet those needs for activities like that can help. I would say- no, ds you cannot knock the picture frames down because they will break and that's not okay with me. but you can knock this other thing down over and over. so both setting boundaries and giving altenatives.

#12 of 22 Old 12-01-2012, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

#13 of 22 Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

For indoor activity, my DD really likes obstacle courses.  I model them after the ones she does in gymnastics class.  So, for example, I'll set up a few hoops in a row and she has to jump from one to the next, then set up some upturned bowls and she has to balance walk on them.  Then she has to jump up onto a couch cushion and jump down and land on her foam alphabet mats.  Then balance a doll on her knee for three seconds.  Then ride her ride-on toy down the hallway......etc. etc.  Somersaults, balance beams, jumping tasks, etc. 

#14 of 22 Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

#15 of 22 Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM

(counting on fingers........) 32 months

#16 of 22 Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

Have you tried setting firm boundaries and time outs, even in a playpen or something, if he doesn't respect those boundaries?

I wouldn't be letting my almost 2.5 year old run around like that. They understand no, and they go in the playpen for a minute or two if they don't respect my stuff.

FTR I do NOT have what could be described as a high needs kid in any way though. But if yours seem relatively similar to other 2.5 year olds and not a complete hellraiser, I'd give the boundaries and time outs a go.

The ideas for alternatives are good, but don't feel you always have to be doing that if you just need to get other stuff done. The world doesn't have to totally revolve around the toddler!

#17 of 22 Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

(counting on fingers........) 32 months

32 months? Er? 2.75 then?

Don't make me do mental arithmetic!

#18 of 22 Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabet View Post

32 months? Er? 2.75 then?

Don't make me do mental arithmetic!

Yes, almost 2.75.  Some day soon I'll stop thinking of her age in months :)

#19 of 22 Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

sometimes my toddler gets in throwing mode and it is too cold/dark whatever to go outside- so he starts throwing things. so I just put together a basket of things he CAN throw (soft or little things) and put him at the top of the stairs and let him throw the things all down and then I pick them up and he does it again. so trying to find other ways to meet those needs for activities like that can help. I would say- no, ds you cannot knock the picture frames down because they will break and that's not okay with me. but you can knock this other thing down over and over. so both setting boundaries and giving altenatives.

I agree.  I also offer my LOs 2 Yeses for each No.  "You can't hit your brother, but you can give him a kiss, or you can hit the arm of the couch."  "You can't knock over the frames, but you can touch them with one finger or you can knock over your blocks." It works like a charm!!  (when I remember to use it...)  "Touch with one finger" is also a lifesaver for me!  It works in stores and others' homes.  

FTR, my DS is 3 yr 3 mos, and DD will be 2 this month.  It works equally well for her as for him.

#20 of 22 Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM

I remove so many things that things are constantly falling off the fridge because it is packed with things that have been removed. The hardest is the dog - I feel like she needs to constantly be contained somewhere else apart from my toddler. I doesn't seem to matter how often we say no, she wants to climb on the dog. 

#21 of 22 Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 PM

another thought entirely: have you addressed any possible food intake issues? for example, i found that my son is very much affected by sugar, and horribly affected by artificial dyes. his behavior becomes impulsive, he is unable to control himself. 

BUT feed him well, get him adequately rested, and he's pretty much a calm and thoughtful kid. 

just something to consider in case it could be relevant.

#22 of 22 Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Eh bien, is everything ok?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page