2 year old needs to be swaddled... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2 year old DS needs to be swaddled still to go to sleep or he just.. won't. I've tried just having him lay down and rub his back, let him tucker himself out, use the rocking chair, etc. but nope, swaddling is the only thing that'll put him to sleep(minus his car seat...) is this normal? Fine?

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#2 of 6 Old 12-11-2012, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's unusual, or rare. But, I wouldn't call it not normal. Is it hurting him to be swaddled? Probably not. Is it helping him sleep? Yes. The question is.....do you mind doing it? If not, dont worry about it. It's how he's been taught to go to sleep, just like babies who are rocked to sleep, or my 28 month old that nurses to sleep. Ive had people question that, and my response is that it's easy, reliable, it works , and *I* am willing to do it. When that changes, we will try and work at something else.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#3 of 6 Old 12-12-2012, 01:57 PM

Unusual?  Probably.  A big deal in the scheme of things?  Probably not.

I say if it's working, don't fix it.  Toddlers love their bedtime rituals, and if it results in everyone getting sleep, by all means, go with it.

Besides, kids change a lot from 2-3.  A lot of the holdovers from infancy disappear during this age, so he may grow out of it.  And if not, there's definitely worse things to worry about. 

#4 of 6 Old 12-12-2012, 06:15 PM

You could try a weighted blanket at night (http://www.kozieclothes.com/sensory/weighted-blankets). My son used to have proprioceptive (among other sensory) issues, so we had him wearing weighted belts, compression vests, etc. and the calming effects of these items was remarkable. You could consult an occupational therapist for the proper weight for the blanket for your son's size. You can make your own using those plastic pellets people use to add weight to stuffed animals and bean bags. There are several tutorials online.

The pressure on the body can have a calming effect, which is why he may need it to fall asleep at night. That could also explain why the seatbelts and the pressure of being strapped in his carseat helps him to fall asleep too. It might help to pour Epsom salts in his bath before bed, as that can be calming to the central nervous system. It may or may not work, but could be worth a shot.

Other options might be joint compressions where you push the joints together. Here's a great site for video demonstrations: http://sensoryandmore.com/2011/08/11/joint-compressions/  I also recommend the brushing technique as well that is mentioned. We purchased the same brush that the lady in the video is using from the therapy place my son attended.

Best to you and your son!

#5 of 6 Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Just wanted to mention that my 2.5 year old has slept in a kids' size mummy bag by Kelty for the past 4 months since we went camping.  I suspect sensory sensitivies in her, also, and it's amazing how well she took to this sleeping bag.  Might be another option for the future.

#6 of 6 Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 PM

I think when my youngest was that age we swaddled her w/ our arms. she was rocked to sleep for 2.5 yrs and held much of the rest of the time or cuddled by me. She just didn't know how to get herself to stop moving long enough to crash. The good news is now at 5 yrs old, she just needs someone to lay next to her for ~ 5 min and she's out for most all of the night. The bad news is...it took us a good 5 yrs to get all the way here. the one thing I found as she neared 3 was she would sleep w/ her bottom up/chest down. Somehow that helped her sleep a bit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page