I can't decide Which is better:
1) short flight, stop, long flight

or

2) two equal duration flights?

#2 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Whichever ones overlap nap/sleep time more :)

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#3 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

Whichever ones overlap nap/sleep time more :)

I agree! It's all about scheduling the flight(s) to coincide with nap(s)!

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#4 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'd go with equal flights rather than starting with a short one. There is less patience/novelty with the second leg so it's better to have that be the short one (or at least not significantly longer) if you can.

Scheduling for naps can be tricky. If a flight is late you might be stuck at the airport with a child in need of a nap. Or your child might not nap anyway, even after the flight is underway. That's a "know your kid" kind of thing, whether they sleep easily in unfamiliar surroundings or not. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i will go for layover times. the longer the layover the better. gives them the chance to play and see and stretch their legs. 

while on flight naptimes might not matter. they might not usually follow it. 

long short flights or equal time has not made much of a difference for me. what has has been the layovers.

also how short is the flight? an hour or two? i mean if its that short by the time they settle down, if they do, it might be time to get off - which might cause some grumpiness. 

honestly thought just go for what is convenient for YOU. the kids will fall into place. if you are flying alone with them, it might be a bit of a challenge. if there are two adults, then it wont be that bad. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Movinng to toddle years.

#7 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Depends on how long the flight is.  Generally though, two equal legs mean less consecutive time on the plane.  I like having layovers so you can stretch squirrely little legs and change up the scenery (novelty keeps kids distracted).  And if the behavior deteriorates, it's easier to deal with in a huge airport than the confines of a plane.

#8 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM

How long are these flights? If they're not too long, I personally would prefer a short flight followed by a long one. I feel I'd have the best chance for my kids to get a decent nap this way. Two equal flights would likely give my kids just enough time to fall asleep only to be awaken for the landing. However, hands down I'd take any sort of arrangement that has you not change planes if you'll have car seats on the flight. Also, keep total travel time in mind too. Long layovers might give kids a chance to stretch legs, but they're a pain when all you really want to do is get to where you are going. But too short layovers are almost impossible with kids and carseats.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page