some sensory and some behavior issues but overall a great kid - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
see if you all think I should explore any professional help or just is this normal enough, albeit maddening to the parents. Our 33 month old son has been seriously refusing socks and shoes for about 3 months in total. We had about 3 weeks in between where he was slightly more agreeable. As soon as the sock hits the foot "not right, not right" he says. He gets all pant-y/distressed. If I force it, he'll just wail and take it right back off or worse, can't get it off himself and acts like a mad animal. He really will refuse to go anywhere, even somewhere fun, if I say he can't b/c he's got no shoes or socks. Today it was the playground. Many times its at our house/back yard. Its THAT bad to him. I've tried seemsless socks and about 30 different shoe/slippers/sandles. He's also too agressive. He's bitten since he could and now its pinching/hitting/shoving at the tiniest thing. He's left scars on our oldest. He's extremely territorial. I don't think he'd last at a preschool. Yet..he can be such a sweet lover boy, a total tender heart, very obedient/maleable. He will listen and actually sit in time out!
#2 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I guess since there really is no 'normal' (what's normal for one, might not be for another), if it was me and my child I'd want to rule out medical reasons like food allergies or build up of something in the system that can lead to behavioral outbursts.  I recently began taking my 13mo DD to a naturopath to treat an oat/dairy sensitivity that was causing some skin issues.  The place I go to specializes in behavior problems and using natural remedies and dietary changes to help and even cure these problems.  The first visti was VERY in depth - almost 2hrs - and I couldn't be happier with the results and knowing that I have this person to turn to - especially since my pedi can be pushy with meds and the ND was able to determine based on the reactions she's had that DD should NOT be given tylenol or any acetametophin based drug as it would intensify the reaction!  I like to opt for a 'less is more' attitude anyways, so even with teething, she's never had any baby pain killers and knowing now that it could have make her pain worse I'm thankful I haven't!  Anyways, it wouldn't hurt to have him looked at by an ND!

#3 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM

It probably wouldn't hurt to get a OT evaluation. In the meantime have you tried barefoot shoes? I wear barefoot shoes all the time, and I almost never wear socks, and when it's warm enough I go barefoot all over too.

ETA: DD, who loves being barefoot as well, says another option for him may be ballet shoes.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM

That's a tough one...maybe fuzzy slippers? 

Definitely sounds like a sensory thing.  Usually though, there's issues with other stuff too (tags on clothes, textures, strange reactions to touch, and so forth).  Is this the only thing you're seeing?

If you're worried about it, get an OT evaluation, like the OP said. 

#5 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

i have given robeeze, slippers of all sorts, etc.  we do think when it all started he might have had a mild case of athletes foot from swimming but we treated it. there's no sign of it anymore. maybe he remembers it but as I said, he did go a few weeks recently w/ shoes and then boom, we are right back to huge refusals. I guess, we also have tag issues and no-diapers/pull-ups. He suddenly potty trained himself during this 3 months and cannot stand a diaper/pull up now (even at night!)

I guess I'll ask my pedi for an eval at least.

#6 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Sensory issues tend to look like "behavioral problems" and often go undiagnosed for awhile (to put it simply, the kid feels "yucky" so acts "yucky").  The good thing is once you know what the sensory issues are (and understand what is causing them), it's easier to correct or prevent many of the resulting behavior problems.

It's not too hard to make sensory accommodations at home, or even in a standard school setting, it just requires a certain level of awareness.   

#7 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

I guess since there really is no 'normal' (what's normal for one, might not be for another), if it was me and my child I'd want to rule out medical reasons like food allergies or build up of something in the system that can lead to behavioral outbursts. 

ditto this.

Have you tried shoes like Crocs?

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#8 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

crocks, uggs, robeeze...tried it all. rain boots were slightly tolerated briefly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page