Nap/sleep issues in 26 month old -- wants to go to bed late, wake up early... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel like I just don't know what to do next with this guy and his early wake-ups! Here is a normal schedule for our 26 month old boy:

5:55 wake up

10:45/11 nap -- sometimes 1 hour, sometimes 2 (we have cut it off at 2 because it cuts into night sleep)

8:15 bedtime

I feel like he is NOT getting enough sleep!! If he sleeps more than 2 hours for naps, his bedtime pushes closer to 9 pm, regardless of when he wakes up. We have tried putting him down earlier, and we just end up spending more time in the room with him until he finally sleeps, around 8:15. If he gets less sleep (1 hr nap), we can get him down by 7:30 sometimes.

He is clearly tired, he deals with it okay, but I am sure he is more fussy than he should be, especially early in the mornings. When he goes down earlier at night, he often wakes up earlier (e.g., it was 5:00 am this morning -- exhausted by 8:30am). He wakes 1-2 times during the night, about 80 percent of the time, and sometimes sleeps through. He is with his dad at night, and has been for 4 months now (when we started night weaning). A couple of times since them, I have been the one to be in the room with him, but when I am there, he still wants to nurse all night long. We've tried me being there on separate occasions, but never more than 2 or so nights in a row because I get frustrated that he sleeps WORSE when I am there (though when he wakes with his dad he is calling for me anyway :( and I always wake up anyway).

I feel like I just don't know what to do to get on a better schedule. If we put him down later for his nap, he is also harder to get down at night (though we will have to transition him soon, as he will be entering preschool). Maybe I have to bite the bullet and do night weaning myself(i.e., get the stamina to refuse to nurse all night and get him used to that, but me be there)?

But, I am 6 weeks pregnant with baby#3, and I kindof see going back to sleeping with him as a step in the wrong direction. (Of course, in the meantime, I am cosleeping with the 5 year old, which is also a step in the wrong direction). When DS2 was born, I remember horrible mornings at 5:30 when baby needed to nurse and toddler demanded/screamed to nurse. It was pretty much h*ll. I don't want to repeat that!

Anyway, grasping at straws here!! Any ideas?

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#2 of 2 Old 12-13-2012, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's a long shot, but what's the light situation like in the room?  I was having trouble with early wake-ups (6am) too, until I installed blackout curtains and blocked all the sunlight coming in the window.  Now DS doesn't wake up until 8am!  Yes!  (I also have a air purifier in there for white noise so he doesn't hear daddy getting ready for work at 5:30 every morning).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page