Nighttime diaper solution for toddler who uses the potty - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is 2 1/2 and has been using the potty during the day for several months.  She very much wants out of diapers at night.  She will not wear pullups and complains of diapers being "too tight" at night now.  Nightwaking is at an all time high.  

What are some other nighttime solutions?  I tried lining the bed with waterproof pads but she wakes up wet, screaming and mad.  On nights I can take her to the potty because she wakes up first (we cosleep), it takes a long time for her to go back to sleep and she wakes up more than once to pee.

We are all very tired over here!  I want to support her independence but need a better solution than pullups on a diaper.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 PM

We cut off liquids immediately after dinner and went for a 1.5 to 2 hour window between last liquid and bedtime.  Potty at the beginning of the getting ready for bed process (she had to go to the potty and sit for the length of Mommy singing the ABC song), followed by a last opportunity to go again just before getting into bed.

We did a combination of a sheet topper (cotten on top/waterproof on the back side), the thick potty traning underwear and old-fashioned rubber pants on top that to help contain the wetness.

It was rough for a while, but they do get it figured out fairly quickly.   My youngest has been night-trained for about 3 months now and it is MUCH better (though the nightwakings are still not as good as with a diaper).  She'll get there eventually.

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

#3 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 AM

We also do no liquids before bed (except maybe a small sip of water if hes thirsty enough to ask) with our 2 year old and he rarely has accidents now. He just wears the gerber training pants. It wont keep him dry, but it soaks up some of it. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#4 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm having the same problem.  DD, 3yr, is completely out of diapers during waking hours and uses the toilet with a child seat on top.  However, she soaks her diapers every night and often also at nap time.  We have tried letting her sleep in her undies, discussed with her what will happen if she wets during sleep, but she still wets every night.  I can't change the sheets every morning and after every nap so she wears cloth diapers during sleep.  I have tried limiting liquids, but she asks for milk every night right before bed and if I refuse (gently), she cries and won't settle down to sleep. 

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#5 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM

Doozer just got out of night diapers because she hated them.  She is still nursing all night so cutting liquids isn't an option for us.  She sleeps for a good block of time (3-6 hours) the beginning of the night and then starts her nursing.  When she wakes the first time I set her on the toilet and let her pee.  To facilitate this I usually have her bum naked.  We've been doing this for 2 weeks and she hasn't wet the bed yet.

I wanted to add that before we started doing this she was waking up dry 5 days a week, so she was ready for it.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#6 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Do you take her all the way to the bathroom to go at night or have a potty next to the bed?  We had to ditch nighttime diapers at 14 mos because of rashes and havign a jar next to the bed (I've got a boy) made it manageable, despite all night nursing.  We also had two old wool blankets under the sheet, and a pile of old receiving blankets next to the bed.  If he had an accident I'd put a recievign blanket over the wet spot and change his pants (adn sometimes mine - we also cosleep) and deal with the rest in the morning.    The wool blankets protected the mattress but don't need to be washed but every other month or so when they start to smell.  In the summer when it was hot and he slept naked it was even easier.

#7 of 8 Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I read recently that this is a biological thing & the child will stop night wetting when ready, though I didn't research it myself. My DS didn't wet every night & usually not a big about when he does.

We have him sleep in his underwear with a bamboo insert from his cloth diapers over it & a diaper cover over that. If he gets restless in his sleep (his bed is in our room) dad will take him to potty. We have a nightlight in there.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please ignore typos.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#8 of 8 Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

for about a year after DD1 was day potty trained, we took her to the bathroom at our bedtime (usually between 10-11) and she would go back to bed pretty easily.

She was not night nursing at that point though.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page