Help: Neurosmith Music Blocks: what is the deal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

I (well, not "I" really, but my 2-year-old) just received a Neurosmith Music Blocks toy.  It is brand new--I have seen that there are old versions that take cartridges etc but this is not one of those, it is just brand new, so bear with me if you know what I'm referring to.  It won't help to tell me to get the old one with the cartridges.

Like, how does it work?  Is there anything to it besides the obvious?  Does your kid like it...?  I find the music sort of choppy and weird.  Is it really that diverting for the little mites?  Does it teach them anything at all about music (I find this doubtful)?

Finally, do you know of any electronic toys that allow children to "compose" simple tunes using just plain tones?  My toddler is not ready for any real instrument, like a keyboard or similar, but would really benefit from something less kind of harsh and choppy than the Music Blocks.  I do think it is a cool toy, but not really 100% what I was looking for for her.  Maybe the thing I want doesn't even exist.  I had a musical "phone" thing that was just amazing when I was young, it was a kind of red telephone-looking object that allowed you to compose and record simple tunes.  Anybody know what that is, or something like it?  

thanks!

Ps.  I know that Mothering is supportive of things like wooden Noah's arks and like Waldorf dolls and tea sets and stuff--I guess this post is about something kind of non-Motheringish, eg, noise toys.  Sorry about that if you are weirded out

#2 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 PM

I bought my son a second-hand one of those cassette player/ recorders with a microphone that is big and colourful and designed to be tough for toddler abuse :) I found a bunch of old tapes at yard sales and stuff for 5 cents like whale songs and REM and he sings along. I also have some blank tapes for recording but we haven't tried that yet, I thinks he's prob still too young.

#3 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

What about a music maker/ lap harp? It's not electronic but they are easy to use.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#4 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

What about a music maker/ lap harp? It's not electronic but they are easy to use.

those are awesome.  good call.  also previous w/ tape recorder...

#5 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 07:49 AM

oh yeah, and a rainbow xylophone!

#6 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversparrow View Post

oh yeah, and a rainbow xylophone!

we have it...well, a glockenspeil or whatever!  and drums, a wooden xylophone, uke, etc

somehow she is in love w/ noise toys however, and I sort of want to fill that void with something pretty neutral.  you know?  all we have is the so-called music blocks and one of those musical books that was a hand-me-down from the neighbor

#7 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 03:21 PM

I also recently discovered Dan Zane, a new children's  performer that has music that grown-ups like too. Way more tolerable than wiggles.

#8 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversparrow View Post

I also recently discovered Dan Zane, a new children's  performer that has music that grown-ups like too. Way more tolerable than wiggles.

cool...we're on a permanent Elizabeth Mitchell loop here and a new voice would be awesome...especially if it is nothing like Wiggles--they really are intolerable, it is really shocking!

thanks so much for all your help.  my toddler is currently enjoying a pair of castanets so that's a nice development here at presents time

#9 of 9 Old 12-25-2012, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Two is a great age to start Orff or Dalcrose or similar music classes. They often have kids play with glockenspiels or other similar instruments. Start listening to your Suzuki recordings so you can start violin in a year, lol!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page