Lip leaking - worst habit ever! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 yo keeps leaking his lips and area around his mouth. It's red, raw, and no matter what we do ( we put aquaphor on it, and constantly!!!! are reminding him to stop), he won't stop!! Any suggestions? Something that worked before?

Wife to my great hubby 4/6/08, WOHM to Alex 1/10/09, my 2 gorgeous newfoundlands, and the cutest pug in the world! Expecting DS2 at the end of March, hoping for HBAC!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM

It's called lip licker's dermatitis. If the creams aren't effective you may want to consider Elidel, which is a topical prescription medication. As for the aquaphor, you may have to reapply it hourly, and slather it on before bed.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:27 PM

My DD did this last winter right around her 4th birthday.  It started while she had a bad cold and a runny nose but continued for a long time even after her cold was gone.  I tried so many things without success, including leaving it alone.  Sometimes I would wash the area and put antibiotic cream on it and bandages at bedtime and it would look so much better in the morning, and then she would come back from preschool with it all raw again.  I tried keeping it covered during the day but she would lick under the bandages.  I finally had success with thick lines of zinc-based sunscreen; I used Badger.  I put it on as often as I could during the day, and at night.  She did not lick through the Badger (I put it on really thick), which allowed her face to heal.  And yes, the sunscreen looked ridiculous and got all over everything.  It was enough to help her break the habit and we were able to stop it once the winter ended and the air got moister again.  She started doing it again this winter but luckily the sunblock was able to help again.  I also let her chew gum, which keeps her mouth otherwise occupied.   Good luck!

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank u! I have been putting zinc based diaper ointment/cream on it. It heals up overnight. Then he licks it again, and they forget to put it on during the day ;(. Will keep trying

Wife to my great hubby 4/6/08, WOHM to Alex 1/10/09, my 2 gorgeous newfoundlands, and the cutest pug in the world! Expecting DS2 at the end of March, hoping for HBAC!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 AM

I like Eucerin much better than Aquafor for severely chapped lips, it's in a tub like Aquafor but it is a thicker white paste-ish substance. That's what I use for myself and DD and DH uses it to for chapped lips and also for other really dry skin. It stays on better even if you forget and lick which I like as well. Might try that during the day instead.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

User Tag List