Suggestions for multi-generational family vacation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Hello!

Any suggestions for great vacation spots in the the US or Canada for an extended multi-generational family group which includes two toddlers? There seem to be a lot of options of "family camps" but they seem to be geared to families with children over 5; if you know of family camps geared toward families with younger children, that would be great. Options for places to rent houses or cottages would be great too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#2 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have friends who do a large family gathering here, in Northern California near the coast:

http://www.oz-farm.com/

My daughter went up once to stay with our friends and had an amazing weekend of running around the woods, picking blackberries, catching frogs in the creek, evenings by the bonfire. Really seems like a wonderful place for young kids.

#3 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you looking for a package deal with organized activities or just locations/cities.

I do a lot with extended family trips. Last one to Florida was tough. With 2 small kids and several elderly and disabled. It seemed that there was always someone napping.

Beaches, mountains, all great if everyone is fairly healthy. Big cities are nice if you can do enough with the kids

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM

It would help to know ages and interests of those involved...

#5 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Disney World is great! You can stay at the same resort, or in adjoining rooms and then ride the bus to the parks together. Disney is great for toddlers, but it also has rides and things for adults. And the elderly, if they have trouble walking they can rent one of those little scooters. Lots of people use those scooters at Disney. We've gone twice as a family. Once with me, DH, and DS1 (who was 1.5 at the time) and once with our family (which included DS(3) and DS(1.5)) and my parents and my inlaws.

#6 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 AM

Yes, ages, interest, and health concerns will help us suggest more options.

I've done Disney with large groups. Overall everyone had a great time, but we were often divided up by interest. Most often the very old and very young vs the more adventurous riders.

Best group vacation was at a beach house. Went over Christmas. It was the off season so somewhat cheap considering we had a 6br house. We are a board game type family so when not playing games we Mostly walked on the beach and ate. Did a ton of geo caching.

#7 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 AM

I know of a family camp in Maine that does daycare programming (nature activities, berry picking, arts & crafts etc) for little ones between 2 and 4. Kids 5+ are put into groups with peers after that to do activities up until lunchtime. Lots of lakefront time after lunch. If your youngest are under 2, unfortunately, there is not programming accommodation. Great place! http://medomakcamp.com 

#8 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great suggestions! Healthwise, we need something non-smoking. We're looking for a place to hang out, play board games, read, go for walks, etc. I love the ocean, but find the mountains beautiful as well. Some place with trails for walking or a beach would be great. I've found a lot of places that work well for adults and children over 5, but the challenge is that our group will include 2 children under 5. Many of the camps I looked at had activities but only for kids over 5, so the little ones would be left out. I'm leaning towards renting a house someplace, but just not sure where. I'll check out all the places suggested and welcome any more suggestions.

PS If it's a crunchy place, that gets bonus points in my book!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#9 of 12 Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Last summer we went to Crystal Mountain Resort in Northern Michigan.  We did not go at a peak time of the year so it was not crowded - not sure how it is when it is packed.  Strangely, we were just planning on sleeping there as we planned to go to Sleeping Bear Dunes, visit lighthouses, go hiking and canoeing, etc.  But once we arrived at the resort we found things to do there too.  Our children were 7 and enjoyed the alpine slide, the pool (which w/b good for younger children), the art park, etc.  They also enjoyed the things we did outside the resort like hiking, beach, etc.  I think it would be a nice place to go with extended family. During peak season, they have more children's activites by age groups. It’s not ‘crunchy’ but you can enjoy the more outdoorsy parts of the resort and visit the small towns and state parks in the area surrounding the resort. There seemed to be something for everyone.   We did not take advantage of the spa but my 77yo mom said she would love to go next time and spend her time golfing and going to the spa. 

http://www.crystalmountain.com/summer/mountain-activities#Michigan-Legacy-Art-Park

When the kids were six we rented a house in Seaside in Florida.  My cousins go often with extended family and love it.  We did not care for it.  It was too ‘stepfordish’ for us. (Maybe it w/b better with a larger group.)  But, it is near the ocean and you might like it.   It seems as though they have a lot of activities for the kids to do while the parents do other things.  This was something we were not interested in but my cousins really like it and since they go often, their kids are very comfortable there on their own.  

http://www.seasidefl.com/vacation

We are also fans of state/Nat'l parks.  If you want to canoe, hike, ride horses, swim and then just do puzzles or play games at night...many state parks have those options.  In our state, the accommodations are old and the food is horrible (so we look for small local eateries) but we've had fun.    Even as young as age four our children enjoyed the hiking, ranger activities, etc.  We enjoyed Turkey Run State Park in Indiana  http://www.turkeyrunstatepark.com/   and Mammoth Cave in Kentucky http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm and Mackinac Island in Michigan  http://www.mackinacparks.com/mackinac-island-state-park/.   (Two days is long enough for us at Mackinac Island.)  We tend to visit the parks at off-peak times...we are not fans of crowds. 

Several of our neighbors take extended family vacations to Disney World and love it - they go every year; sort of like a family reunion.  We went with our children (not extended family) and did not care for Disney World hide.gif.  (I hesitate to say that since so many people love it.)

#10 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful suggestions!

#11 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 10:24 PM

Try checking out Boulder Colorado. I went there with DD when she was around 6 months old. We had a blast hiking, visiting the aquarium, playing by the river, and shopping the cool crunchy stores on Pearl Street. There's even a coffee shop with a play area. There were so many thing to do there, especially outdoors. I think you could find something for everyone.

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#12 of 12 Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Olympic national parks is my overall favorite place to visit. You can spend a day of two in seattle and then drive over. So much variety. Beaches, alpine mountains, lakes. Though best time is summer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page