2 1/2 yo climbing out of crib but won't stay in bed. Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas,

A few days ago my LO, who will be 2 1/2 in a couple weeks, climbed out of her crib. Immediately, I decided we were done with the crib due to safety, and figured she had to learn to sleep in a bed (which she has been excited to do). The two options were: a twin bed already located in her room, and the crib, which DH took the side off and it converts to a little bed. 

Well, neither worked so far. She is at the age where she is totally into being defiant, either just for the stubbornness of it, or because she thinks it's hilarious. I thought the crib might be more familiar, so she might prefer that. Then, I thought the bed might be better as a complete change. We talked about it, sang songs about staying in bed, but neither was working. We had a couple sleepless nights and naps of her refusing to stay in either bed. Since we are all fighting colds and it's a bad time to be without sleep, I put her back in the crib, reassembled.

Well, she of course climbed out again. Now, neither times did she hurt herself, but it just seems really stupid from a safety perspective. My older was closer to three at this transition, and more willing to obey the stay-in-bed part of it. I need concrete suggestions!!! How to keep the child in the crib, or teach her to stay in the bed. Going back to cosleeping is not an option.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Ugh, my daughter is a few months older than yours and I know that if we were to try any transition like this right now, it would be a disaster. 

That said, have you tried just not forcing her to stay in bed, but putting a gate up so she can't leave the room?  Then the room essentially becomes the new crib, so to speak.  It may not be practical depending on how she usually falls asleep and how much stuff you have to entertain her in the room, but I'm guessing that it's wise to avoid a power struggle about this. 

Second, what about putting her in a sleeping bag, or tucking a largish bolster under the fitted sheet to make her feel more confined? 

#3 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I like the gating of the room.  DD is 14mos but can already 'climb' the bars on her crib to get her feet halfway up and if she takes a stuffed animal to bed she will used that as a step stool so we choose bedtime stuffies carefully!  We also have a crib that converts to toddler bed with a half rail followed by full size bed and I forsee us having this battle in the near future as she's never been one to nap/sleep unless confined (crib or in her sleep sack when younger).  I'm told I was able to climb out of my crib before I was 2 and she's certainly on that path.  If you keep minimal toys for her to access, or maybe just quiet things like books and stuffies that won't get her revved up if she slips out of her bed that seems like a great option.

#4 of 6 Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not a very AP solution but they make a tent for cribs to keep cats out of a crib. They work great for keeping kiddos in as well. My sister used one with both her girls. Her older one was told it was her princess bed and very happy with that.
#5 of 6 Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son did the same thing, only much earlier.  He sleeps on a mattress on the floor.  I don't worry about whether or not he stays in bed because I took everything out of his room except for his bed, and a few stuffed animals.  There's nothing for him to hurt himself with, so if he's choosing not to be in bed, oh well.    

#6 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thank, Mamas!

I haven't seen this tent thing - but I'll look for it and see if it might work. However, it sounds like we may just plow through with the transition and take everything out of the room. I think we never did the greatest job proofing the room so that's half the problem, and I need to make it so she can't open the door. That will eliminate much of the problem - I don't care if she sleeps on the floor or whatever. 

Wish me luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page