Should I supplement my 16 mo? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd2 is still about 90-95% bf. I try to feed her but she isn't too interested, but it also depends on the day. I try not too fill her up on things that don't offer much nutrition, like rice crackers, etc.

Anyways, should I supplement her with other "milk" on the days I work? I'm gone 3 das a week. Home til 11am, work, come home, feed her around 1 or 2, work. Feed again around 6. I can't seem to pump very much, do I don't always have lots on hand for nana to give. She's allergic to dairy and goat milk, so that's out. I don't like the idea of supplementing with soy milk and niot sure yet if she's allergic to coconut milk. Shes fine with coconut oil and trader joes coconut milk, but not with other brands ( all only coconut and water).
She's got allergies, so we are careful about foods. I'm ot sure if she if getting enough to eat. She's quite tiny (but then again, so am I)

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#2 of 4 Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I worked when my oldest 3 were young but I stopped pumping at work as soon as they were eating a variety of solids and drinking liquids from a cup. It was sometime between 12 and 18 months for each. I don't think you have to substitute anything in particular, just make sure she is getting a variety of nutritious foods and liquid. We're big on water to drink. For more calorie dense foods can she eat any nut butters on toast or crackers? We also do hummus.I give my youngest nondairy yogurt sometimes soy or almond or coconut. I don't eat eggs but they are nutrient dense and kids usually like them scrambled or soft boiled. My little one also loves black beans and lentils.

I would try to get her to eat more food while you're gone and not worry sbout replacing your milk with a different kind. Then just nurse her when she wants when you're home.
#3 of 4 Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

WHO is a great resource for milk needs or bf'g guidelines in relation to complementary feeding (6-24 months)

( for children not being BF)

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2005/9241593431.pdf

(this one for children currently being bf)

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/paho/2003/a85622.pdf

#4 of 4 Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I work part time, 10-2 and my FIL watches DD.  Up til she was almost a yr I would pump after she was in bed before I went to sleep and that's what she would get around noon the following day.  So she'd BF around 9 before I left for work, bottle at noon and ask to BF as soon as I got home around 230/3.  But it got to point where I was no longer pumping enormous quantities and it took forever to get 2-3oz so I said the heck with it - she goes the 5ish hrs on whatever other foods she wants (plus she naps a good 2hrs of that time anyways) and just BF's before and after work.  It meant that she shifted her schedule a little bit and does an extra feeding before bed but I haven't supplemented anything.  She's 14mos, I've had her tested by the ND so I know she can have coconut milk (anything but dairy) and she occasionaly asks for a sip of mine, but I don't bother with giving her a substitute to hold her over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page