Honey or Benadryl for cough. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

My son has been having sore throat and cough for a week now. Its not a consistent cough. Its usually in the nights. He has a clear runny nose/sniffles. My doctor usually says its better to try natural remedies like honey for sore throat rather than going for 

BENADRYL

My sister- in-law is a pharmacist and she said its fine to give BENADRYL for five days in a row in the night and his sore throat will go away. 

So I am in a fix. I usually just give him honey or Chestal as suggested by the doctor and put a vaporizer when he has cold.

Whom should I listen to. My sister in law or the doctor.

Please advise!

#2 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM

If the honey is working, stick with that.  If he's waking up in the middle of the night, consider the Children's Benadryl.  

The pharmacist I talked to did not recommend Triaminic for kids.

We split the difference with Similisan homeopathic stuff during DS's last night-time cough.

#3 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM

I can't believe a pharmacist would say that given the number of studies published in the last couple of years--research on the efficacy of pediatric cold remedies has concluded that there is little to no benefit in using common cold remedies in children. 

I'd stick with honey, and maybe add a little lemon if he likes that.

Benadryl is an allergy medicine, that has a side effect of inducing sleep.  (In some kids, it has the opposite effect and causes excitability). 

#4 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Well since benadryll is not for coughs why would she even recommend it?  That would raise a red flag for me.  All it does is dry out the sinuses (too much) and then you can get a dry cough....I'd stick with what you know works.  I won't give DD benadryll bc there's a chance she will have the same reaction as me and sleep for 24hrs, with continued groginess for almost 48hrs.

#5 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Um, doctor.  Benadryl is an allergy medication and will do crap for coughs and sore throat.  So, unless the sore throat is from post nasal drip from allergies...it's not going to do anything except make your kid sleep.  Honey works better (in actual studies) than anything else for cough (children over the age of 1 ONLY).  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#6 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM

Definitely not Benadryl! My pediatrician recommended infant Zyrtec which we use sparingly. We've had great great luck with a honey elixir we got at cvs.
#7 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Yeah, definitely no benadryl.  I wonder if she recommended that as a sleep aid if the cough is keeping him up at night?  Because it won't do anything for an actual cough.  And still a bad idea as a sleep aid, anyway.

Hyland's sells a homeopathic cough elixir that includes honey.  They have a regular one and a night time one, which includes additional homeopathics to help with sleep.  

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#8 of 10 Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ok, I'll be the outcast here and say that benadryl (if it does have the effect of making your LO sleepy) can be a lifesaver if he/she is up all night coughing. Yes, it's an allergy medication, but it may help with runny noses and sneezing, and it will make it easier for your LO to get back to sleep (again, if it has the sleepy effect not the hyper effect) after coughing fits. It does for my son.

When my son has a bad cough and cold and can't sleep because of it I will give sometimes him benadryl just so he can get some rest which will speed his recovery. Benadryl is a safe medication when given at the correct dose and not used regularly for help with sleeping. I have looked into this, and many children with allergies are given benadryl very regularly with no adverse affects so I'm not sure why some on here are making it sound like it is something very harmful or dangerous! Every child is different, so there's no telling what affect any drug or even a natural remedy will have on your child so it's always best to use caution and of course speak to your HCP.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#9 of 10 Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 PM

What about hylands cough and cold?

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#10 of 10 Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 PM

We really like Chestal...it actually resolves the cough and soothes it.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page