My DD's amber teething necklace... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 45 Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM
 
heremotherduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i was talking about the choking risk.

heremotherduck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 of 45 Old 01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Well if going from punching herself in the mouth, crying and telling me "ouch" to being happy and content in the matter of one hour from weraing the necklace is simply a 'placebo' as you say, then that's fine by me and clearly it's fine by my daughter.

 

As for choking, they are dsigned with safety in mind and can be ripped off if need be without beads flying all over. 

sassyfirechick is online now  
#33 of 45 Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
Mama Ana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Erebor
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I, like I am sure many other parents out there, did research and read up on the options of dealing with teething. I read in detail the benefits of the teething necklace before I went out and bought it. I believe it has worked for my daughter and there are plenty of other threads for people to get other advice and voice their opinion on these necklaces not working. This post was not for that. My question has been answered and a mod can close it or delete it. 


If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

Mama Ana is offline  
#34 of 45 Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM
 
avismama24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

Just because something has been done for thousands of year In other counties, it does not mean it has huge therapeutic value. For examples, circumcision....or blood letting....or spanking.

 

There is zero scientific evidence that amber necklaces work.

My goodness Alenushka...I don't usually respond to these types of "attack posts" but felt like i needed to remind you that the Op started this post about how to recharge her amber necklace, that "she already uses and believes in." She got some great answers in regards to recharging and also an excellent link was posted, that myself used recently to recharge my son's amber.

 

Adorkable and Alenushka, while you are totally entitled to your opinion why post it so blatantly here? The OP didn't ask for others opinions on if people feel they work or not, she asked how to recharge...so obviously she thinks they work, and most of us who followed this thread, including ,myself were looking for this type of information. It kind of hurt my feeling and harshed on all the good crystal vibes to get such negative "these don't work and actually are dangerous for your children" responses.


Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

avismama24 is offline  
#35 of 45 Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM
 
eabbmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you AvisMama!!! This conversation was driving me nuts.
eabbmom is offline  
#36 of 45 Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
 
~adorkable~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: State Of Bliss
Posts: 4,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Ana View Post

I, like I am sure many other parents out there, did research and read up on the options of dealing with teething. I read in detail the benefits of the teething necklace before I went out and bought it. I believe it has worked for my daughter and there are plenty of other threads for people to get other advice and voice their opinion on these necklaces not working. This post was not for that. My question has been answered and a mod can close it or delete it. 

glad you got the info you wanted, others will come here after searching and for that reason the thread will stay here and active as long as folks remain civil to some level. we dont delete threads around here because they get answered or because they get answered in way that folks disagree with. others will find it and learn from the debate, they will get a chance ot hear both sides, always a good thing for informed parenting.  I'm sorry if you feel your question was hijacked a bit, thankfully it was also answered to your satisfaction so no harm was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avismama24 View Post
Adorkable and Alenushka, while you are totally entitled to your opinion why post it so blatantly here? The OP didn't ask for others opinions on if people feel they work or not, she asked how to recharge...so obviously she thinks they work, and most of us who followed this thread, including ,myself were looking for this type of information. It kind of hurt my feeling and harshed on all the good crystal vibes to get such negative "these don't work and actually are dangerous for your children" responses.

 

i address that this was not the original question in my reply to the OP above.

as for why i posted here, its because i feel strongly about informed choice and so when i see a very one sided case being presented that i feel leaves out the truth that I know, i want to chime in and give the other side. I do not feel like i have been rude and i stand by what i have said. i even edited my first post since i reread it and felt that i could be taken as rude when that was not my intent. in the end, we do have a right to our own opinion, but we dont have a right to expect others to keep theirs to themselves because it is going to harsh our mellow. this is the internet and a active engaged forum of parents that have a huge about of opinions. we all agree to come guidelines and then within them have hopefully productive and often challenging talks. the term "big girl panties" goes around never so often and that we all need to be wearing them when we log in. I think that puts it pretty well.

i often put in into term of the "law of two feet" if you dont want to listen to or see or experience what you are exposed to, then use your two feet and do something to care for yourself. if the debate stresses you out or hurts your crystals, then unsub, stop reading and go bask somewhere that makes you feel better. MDC. and the internet as a whole is a voluntary privilege. i will only talk on my behalf and i work hard to speak my mind and not regret my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabbmom View Post

Thank you AvisMama!!! This conversation was driving me nuts.

"law of two feet"

 

(i actually used it and did unsub for a while and then saw this in new posts and felt like chiming in again. unsubing works like a charm to lower stress levels.)


partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

 
~adorkable~ is offline  
#37 of 45 Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 AM
 
heremotherduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Adorkable- she wasnt asking if you thought they worked or not,neither did anyone else.you have been told repeatedly that this thread isnt about that,yet you still carry on because you are determined to have the last word.

 

Shush.

heremotherduck is offline  
#38 of 45 Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 AM
 
avismama24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ugh! Adorkable of course you are entitled to your opinion, and of course mothering is a place to come to get other mother's opinions. The issue I have with all your posts is that you are continuously posting about something that was not asked.

 

There are already a few threads started about ASKING for people's opinions on if amber works or not. Why don't you post in those threads. Your feelings are valid, just not welcomed here and they border on rude, IMHO.

 

Honestly to me this is similar to the vaccine threads. If you are anti-vax (which I am by the way) it would go against MDC policy for me to go into the I'm vaccinating forum and start posting all this type of anti-vaccine stuff, how they are dangerous, and that mother's who vaccinate their babies are hurting them and putting them in danger. Those types of forums are support only, for a reason...people have already decided where they fall on the vaccine spectrum. Same with most of the mothers in this thread we already know how we feel about crystals, and amber. It feels disrespectful to me to open a thread that 1. Is of personal interest to me 2. I learned something valuable from (which was the OP's intent) and then to have it repeatedly hijacked by anti-amber/crystal responses. It just seems odd to me why you keep posting in here. We get that you don't think they work...good for you, but we do and we were interested in learning more about recharging stones, amber in particular.


Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

avismama24 is offline  
#39 of 45 Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
 
Mama Ana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Erebor
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Adorkable-considering there are how many other posts and how many other websites giving pros/cons of amber teething necklaces I don't understand why you continue to hijack my thread and keep giving your opinion. We get it. You don't believe in them. Fine, I'm not asking you or expecting you to agree. My post WAS NOT about that and the fact you keep bringing it up it ridiculous. My post is also giving those in search of amber teething necklace more information and it is NOT an opinion post. This post is for those who believe they do work and would like to know how to recharge them, it is not a debate post or a "do you think they work" post. If I was looking for that information I would look elsewhere and I would have asked a year ago when I started looking into a teething necklace. So you have stated in how many posts you don't agree with them for various reasons, thank you for your unsolicited opinion. This post has been taken over and I'm a bit peeved at that. If you don't agree with something, especially in a post that clearly does not ask for a person's opinion on do they or don't they, then don't post.  


If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

Mama Ana is offline  
#40 of 45 Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM
 
~adorkable~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: State Of Bliss
Posts: 4,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ok seriously, i have not posted anything focused on my opinion in nearly 2 days and in contrast, the last post i made generally was to let  Alenushka know that her comment was falling on deaf ears and I wouldn't bother, and then i unsubbed.  i only posted again because i felt i was asked a direct question:

Quote:
Adorkable and Alenushka, while you are totally entitled to your opinion why post it so blatantly here?

 

stop asking my questions and I'll happily stop responding.

but lets be clear i gave my thoughts on amber in exactly 2 posts, that last one being on Wed. and that one actually gave the necklaces some credit within the context of love and personally energy, that hardly constitutes me going on and on about things. yes others have chimed in as well, not my fault or problem. and i replied in the first place because when someone posts "amber does not seem to be working" i do think a legit and important response is "because i think it was a placebo, sorry, here are some options"

you did ask for "anything you could do" and if it "had lost it's power" so again i gave my response to those things. this is not the no debate vax area, but rather a very general area of the board. I then happily acknowledged that my info was not the info you wanted and that i'm glad you found what in fact you did what to find and that my info would just sit here for other folks to see both sides and make their own informed choices.

 

I have dont nothing more and dont care to be "Shushed", literally.

but i am also relatively good at taking my own advice and the law of two feet is there for me as well. so stop asking me questions, and i'll be unsubbing again


partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

 
~adorkable~ is offline  
#41 of 45 Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 AM
 
avismama24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok ladies...lets move this thread in the direction we were intending it to go. Slightly different question....but my DS still wears his baby 12inch amber necklace, I have been poking around and noticed that they also sell longer toddler necklaces. Did anyone else switch over to a longer strand to use as their child grew, maybe keeping the infant necklace as a ankle bracelet or something.....do you think this is necessary? Just curious what others did.


Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

avismama24 is offline  
#42 of 45 Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 PM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I have a 14" for DD (almost 15mos), but I didn't get it until she was older and when I measured her neck it was questionable how long she'd have in anything smaller so I opted for bigger.  I have done the 14" on her ankle at night and it just makes it on the smallest part of her ankle double wrapped, very little room to spare, poor kids got kankles lol! 

sassyfirechick is online now  
#43 of 45 Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 PM
 
avismama24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks sassyfirechick!


Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

avismama24 is offline  
#44 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
 
deailedlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yikes...who woulda thought such opinions about teething necklaces. My lo is just starting and I dont believe in science and have always been intrigued with stones and their healing power. For those that posted helpful info related to the@ uestions, thanks its just what I was searching for smile.gif
deailedlace is offline  
#45 of 45 Old 06-21-2013, 11:22 AM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly lil bit View Post
[Moderator Note: Quote removed because original post was removed for UAV.]

Well everyone on here is using them therefor no need for you to chime in with nasty remarks like that, no one said you have to use one yourself.  Don't believe they work? You're entitled to your opinion but it's not necessary to come on here and blast what people are using with no issue.

sassyfirechick is online now  
Reply

User Tag List



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off