Unstoppable Jumping Toddler ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 22months, and for about the last 6 months, she has was i can only describe as endless energy...which worries me..

For example and normal day would start with her waking around 7am, jumping in her crib non stop for an hour or two, after breakfast she runs and plays, very difficult to keep her held or still, she throws a fit if u try, during her afternoon nap she normally chooses to jump in her crib for another hour or so, rarely sleeps. Later in the evening when we put her to bed she continues to jump in her bed for awhile until she falls asleep.

Anyone else have a crazy jumping toddler? energy.gif

#2 of 3 Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It could be normal, or it could be a sensory thing (underreactive to movement, suggesting sensory-seeking to stimulate the vestibular system).  Does she seem to crave a lot of intense physical activity in general (running, jumping, spinning, constant roughhousing), or just the jumping?  Is it only happening at certain times, or almost constantly?  Sometimes kids go through phases with a certain motor activity (while they're developing or refining a skill).  But if it seems like she does it ALL the time, that's something to make a note of.  

If it's a concern, you'll want to have an evaluation for Occupational Therapy (OT) to rule out sensory issues as the cause.    

#3 of 3 Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My 15mo is a crib jumper, although not quite that much lol!  She does like to go-go-go but my background in dog training taught me that some animals/kids need to be taught how to have down time - in other words too much focus on physical activity in an attempt to drain energy can backfire bc it just increases their stamina and they never learn how to be calm.

First question - what's her diet like?  How much is processed or contains refined carbs/sugars? Or in some cases, food allergies and intolerances can lead to hyperactivity.

Next - what kind of mental stimulation does she get?  Things like games or puzzles that involve thinking and concentration, sensory bags/bins/bottles, stuff that uses imagination.  Winding down requires equal parts tired body and tired brain.

And if she really just likes the sensation of jumping how about one of those toddler/kid mini trampolines with the handle on it?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page