Milk Alternatives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Any mamas here using milk alternatives with their LOs?  DD surprisingly had an allergic reaction to cow's milk and now I'm looking at the alternatives... It seems that hemp milk is a good replacement for cow's milk for toddlers.  I like that the hemp milk available in store is fortified with calcium etc, but DH does not like the use of sugar.  I'm going to make DD a batch of homemade hemp milk tomorrow with a little stevia and vanilla (ha like she'll drink it, she's still 90% EBF!).  Those using milk alternatives, what are you doing??

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#2 of 12 Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We use almond milk... but I also mostly nursed my toddler... so human milk provided most of the stuff that milk is needed for-- fat, etc.

Will you still be nursing? If so then a child can drink water.

According to this source, Almond milk has slightly *less* sugar then cow milk: http://www.3fatchicks.com/almond-milk-vs-milk-which-is-healthier/

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#3 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 AM

Lots of people like soy, but of course it's controversial. Coconut is popular in our neck of the woods as well, and goat milk, which is often tolerated well by those allergic to cow milk, although the taste is odd.
#4 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 05:41 AM

I like Hemp milk too - my health food store has an unsweetened variety - but i will say this - its not great to cook with!  I like Almond milk for that - i am surprised to hear almond milk has less sugar than cows milk - it tastes super sweet to me!  With my now 14 yr old DS i needed to find a milk alternative - he weaned at 9 months and i used formula for three months - but suspected that that cows milk products (like the formula) were causing ear infections - so at a year i put him on a variety of 'other' milks - soy, coconut., almond and oat.  Couldnt find hemp back then!  I was pretty meticulous about his diet as well - hes a healthy honor student now

If you are breastfeeding - you dont need to bother with any other liquids besides some water as they get older. 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#5 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I use almond milk mixed with a bit if canned coconut milk. I want her to get good calories from it, so I go low sugar for the almond part (it's added sugar, rather than the natural sugars in cow milk, so I don't like it), and the coconut part gives good fat.
#6 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Out of curiousity, but if she is primarily breastfed, why the need for additional milk?

#7 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 AM

Agree with PPs - if she is getting BM, does she need another form of "milk"?

My DS would not drink cows milk or any milk alternative until very recently (maybe started being interested at 28 months or so) so it was either BM or water.  Now that my milk is pretty well dried up (I am 29 weeks pregnant) he will drink almond milk or soy milk. 

Our preferred milk alternative is almond milk, but we've tried coconut based milk beverages and occasionally he gets soy milk (but I prefer to stay away from soy).  You can also try goats milk or sheeps milk if you can find them.  My DS didn't like the taste of either.  I only just saw hemp milk at our grocery store for the first time yesterday.  Maybe I'll have to pick some up to try.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#8 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Coconut for us if DD has just nursed me dry but is looking for more.  She will ask for things by name, so either" boobie", water or milk ;-)  It's what I drink as well.

#9 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Agree with the milk change out ideas, although we have been doing our own oat milk and its easy and awesome tasting.  DD1 won't do coconut milk, but does like the vanilla almond ...

#10 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Another vote for coconut milk.  I buy the canned brand at Wal-Mart because it has two ingredients, coconut and water.  It's also very cheap and thick; when chilled it is nearly solid.  I'll add water to it for drinking.

If you have the time and gumption it's quite simple to make your own nut or seed milks.  Any search engine can help you out with finding instructions.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#11 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! I guess the reason I am looking for another milk is because DD is not consuming much but BM at the moment, not even water, and I'm like grasping at straws here! I love coconut milk, I will add that in. I did make some unsweetened hemp milk today that she took a few tastes of.  I'll sweeten with a little stevia and see if she likes it more.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#12 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

we like rice milk

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page