22 months and reversing most words - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I am new to this community but recommended by a couple of friends, so here goes. My 22 month old son knows maybe 50 words, but is saying the opposite of what he means for any either/or question. No instead of yes, down instead of up, and shakes his head no or yes oppositely as well. I am a little concerned because he doesn't seem to be talking nearly as much as my older kid did or other babies I know around the same age, but he is a boy and my other child is a girl, most of my friends have girls. Is this a boy thing? I know they tend to develop later in some areas but I doubt he will be saying three word statements or sentences by 2, and that seems pretty late to me. Thanks for reading!
#2 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not an expert on this, but I know that if you're concerned most (or maybe all?) school districts will evaluate young children for speech to see how they're doing and if they need services, and will even give those services for free (well, as part of your taxes so not free but you don't have to pay a fee.) If you call your school district, you might get someone to talk to him and see how he's doing.

I will also bump this up so hopefully you get more responses. Good luck!

#3 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
#4 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I wouldn't be too concerned since he is talking.  If you ask for something that has a set answer, just repeat the appropriate answer - would you like to go down? he replies up.  Do you mean down? and show him what down is - or what I do with my 15mo DD is if she says up when we're already holding her, we lift her higher, which in turn gets her to say 'no, down" and then down she goes! I've seen later talkers say nothing one day then wake u speaking full sentences the next, it's not unheard of.

#5 of 5 Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you... His receptive skills are very good so I am not too worried, just want to make sure I catch it early if something's up. I have a relative with a deaf child and they didn't know as early as they could have and regret it. Not that I am worried about that, I just know so much learning is crucial at this point.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page