Tot wants Non-alchoholic wheat beer?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 1.5 yr old DD wants beer.

Over here in Austria and Germany, many pregnant and nursing mothers drink non-alcoholic wheat beer because of its nutritional qualities (high in potassium, promotes prolactin production, anti-inflammatory properties...) 

Maybe twice a month I'll have a one (I am pregnant AND nursing) and DD always wants a sip. Recently I broke down and gave her a little bit, probably 2 tablespoons. She loved it.  So now what? 

DH is concerned because he has several aunts and uncles on his mother's side that are alcoholics and he doesn't want her to develop a taste for beer. 

#2 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM

If its nonalcoholic, I wouldn't really have a big issue with it. I would treat it like cake: an occasional treat. Every now and then my almost 2 year old has a little ginger ale from daddy. I'm not crazy about her getting a taste for it but as an occasional treat it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't stress over it because kids pick up on that and they are way less fixated on things they can occasionally have a little of as opposed to things which are utterly forbidden. I'd try to drink it more when she's asleep so she doesn't see it too often.
#3 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM

If your dh is feeling uncomfortable with it, I wouldn't share it with the toddler even though it's non-alcoholic.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I agree that it's not a big deal. I am also in Germany and around here some people refer to Caro Kaffee (that's a grain based coffee alternative with no caffeine) as children's coffee. We give our son (2.5) "Babyccino", which is just steamed milk, in a little espresso cup and it's just so cute, he can feel like he's drinking coffee like the adults but it's not coffee. I would view the beer thing in the same way. Of course even non-alcoholic beer has a wee smidge of alcohol in it so I would limit it to a tiny glass and yes, as a special treat.

I understand your husband's concerns. And it's true that when beer drinking is just a normal part of everyday life and a child sees that, it can grease the wheels for becoming an alcoholic as an adult or teen. But unless you and your husband are drinking every day at home....your daughter will not get the idea that alcohol is just a part of everyday life. Keep it as a special treat. Here in Germany beer is a part of life whether or not we like it and you might as well educate your DD now that it is a special treat and ok to drink in moderation....and model that yourselves as her parents and make it clear that until she's 16 (that is the legal drinking age for beer in Germany) she will be getting the non-alcoholic version. In this country she is going to be offered beer and have her peers drinking it starting at 16 if not earlier. Might as well be very clear about "this is how we drink beer", meaning "beer is for special occasions", and if she has a non-alcoholic beer every few weeks I think that is modeling responsible drinking. May seem like an odd lesson for a toddler, but I think it's better than acting like beer is "strengstens verboten", as that may trigger alcoholism even more as she may decide to drink earlier and more than she normally would, just to rebel.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#5 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM

I personally wouldn't because non-alcoholic beer does still contain a small amount of alcohol. Alcoholics aren't even supposed to have non-alcoholic beer because of that. Granted the amount is small from 2 tablespoons, but if she thinks it's as okay, she will eventually want more and will you cave then too? My daughter was curious around that age of my husband's beer. Little ones naturally want what their parents have regardless of what it is. But all we did was say that it was a Mommy/Daddy drink just like coffee is, and she was okay with that. I definitely agree with your husband...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page