my 15 months old baby has bad constipation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi,,,,my i5 months old baby has bad constipation with no eating except similac formula milk..........she is gassy toooooo...........i offered her sooo many foods but she do not want to eat at all...... m tired and upset what i do...............pls somebody help

#2 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So is the baby 5 months or 15 months? I'm not sure if the i in front of the 5 is a typo but it looks to me like it is, especially since the baby is having formula.

I didn't use formula so I can't comment on that, but I do know that my best remedies for constipation were always a warm bath, and baby massage. I think if you do a google search for tummy baby massage, you might find some things that can help.

Good luck to you and your baby!

Edited because I see we're in toddlers so this probably IS 15 months. In that case, some water to drink can help a lot too! I guess I should have known it wasn't a 5-month-old baby because you were talking about how she wouldn't eat anything else.
#3 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Hi, this is a frustrating problem. I remember when my babies(3) had constipation it was very troubling. The old wives' method is to add Karo syrup, 1 tbs. for every 3 oz. prepared formula. I admit I have tried it and it did seem to work but I do not know why. 

I liked the other responder's suggestion of massage. Abdominal massage with a few drops of warm baby oil, in a gentle circle going clockwise with the side of the hand, would certainly not hurt. Try very gently bending the knees up toward the abdomen and even rotating the hips in this position, always so gently and soothingly. You are trying to "work" out kinks, allow trapped bubbles to escape, etc., a sort of gastrointestinal baby yoga :) Warning: may want a towel in case this works very well! It's your baby, so nothing is too gross. As long as it provides relief, it is welcome. Right? Right! A warm bath often makes my younger kids need to move their bowels. My three year old daughter will sometimes have to get out of the bath to use the toilet. Warm water is so relaxing. 

If you are on formula, it is notorious for causing constipation due to the high iron content. Make certain you aren't adding too much formula to the water if using powder. 

If solids have been introduced, avoid cereals for the moment as well as bananas. This means oatmeal, rice, wheat, dry biscuits, crackers, etc. These are all rather absorbent and you don't want to suck any more moisture out of the dry, constipated environment in baby's bowels. Instead, choose watery foods. Applesauce is KING. Applejuice is good too. This isn't something you want to over-do and continue indefintely; rather, it is a corrective move to compensate before you return to normal, well-balanced diet. 

Finally, a teensy bit of petroleum jelly applied just around the edge of baby's bottom may help prevent fissures if the feces are moved but painfully dry or big after being stuck. If your baby is very young, this simple thing might even stimulate a movement. Again: warning! have a towel. Many small babies have bowel movements as a result of the stimulation of rectal thermometers. You shouldn't take the child's temperature this way just to induce a movement, I'm just pointing out the senstitive nature of baby's system. 

Best wishes, before you know it things will be moving along!

#4 of 5 Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 AM

We give our little one a bottle of half apple juice & half water. Our pediatritan suggested it when she was little & on formula. Grape juice, Prune, Cranberry, & Pear juice all work too.

We don't regularly offer juice, just when she seems constipated. Consider buying a half dozen juice boxes to keep in your pantry for when you need it instead of buying a big bottle that will go bad in your fridge.
#5 of 5 Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I would consider a change in formula if she's having that many issues.  It's obvious she's not properly digesting it and perhaps a change to a dairy free formula may help.  If you've started solids, prune or pumpkin puree are top on my list.  And while ankwhitey suggests no bananas, they have the opposite affect on my DD!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page