Questions about "normal" toddler behavior - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a couple questions about "normal" toddler behavior. I have absolutely ZERO experience dealing with a toddler prior to my first baby turning into one, so I am not sure if some of her behaviors are just toddler weirdness or if there is something more going on. My ped office doesn't do a 2.5yr check up, and I haven't really decided if I think I should take her in for an eval or something...but anyway, with all the buzz about ASD going on right now, I am a little paranoid and wondering if I am over thinking about this?

So one of the biggest things that frustrates me with her is what seems to be a lack of depth of conversation...for example, (she is 32 months, 3 in June) when she talks, it's always very superficial questions. She will say "what's that?" or repeat things like "did you have a good day?" "did you take a shower (when she sees me in a towel" "did you go store?" etc. but she doesn't really ask any deeper questions...if that makes sense? She doesn't really speak very conversationally, it's just shallow questions like I listed, or observations, or asking where something is, if she can have something, etc. 

She also appears to not be very interested in learning about things, like the why or how of things. She blatantly refuses to learn to catch, and even though I've shown her how to do it since like a year old, she puts her hands all the way behind her head every time I tell her to catch something. Her 13 month old brother can actively catch things with his hands. 

She speaks very clearly, has a great vocabulary, knows 1-10, all the ABCs, I know she is VERY observant, she often pipes up with something that I have no idea how she learned that lol or she will know an exact line from a book we haven't read in months. I just wonder about her lack of meaningful exchange in conversation...is 2.5 too early to expect some back and forth? Or should I take her in for an evaluation? I'm not sure if I am just being paranoid, or just don't know anything about toddlers! 

Any advice is appreciated!

#2 of 7 Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I always think it doesn't hurt to get something checked out if you're concerned but both those things sound normal to me.

This is an exact transcript of an exchange with my toddler (3 in May) which occurred a couple of days ago
Her: Mummy, will you do up these poppers for me.
[pause]
Her: What are you doing?
Me: I'm doing up these poppers.
Her: Why?

The catching the ball thing could be toddler stubbornness - she knows your very invested in it so she won't do it. Or it could be that she's just not ready for that motor skill yet. If all her other motor skills are ok then is probably stop trying to get get to catch a ball. Just completely drop it (no pun intended winky.gif ) and she'll probably start doing it herself when she's ready.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 AM

I have a toddler, but I'm definitely not a toddler expert by any means.  I can't speak to the speech issue, since my child DOES have speech issues (so I don't know what "normal" speech at 2.5 looks like--at 2.5 DS had a very limited repertoire of one syllable words, so she's MILES and MILES ahead of where he was at that age.)

She also appears to not be very interested in learning about things, like the why or how of things.

I think that happens a little bit later for most kids--like around 3 or 4ish.  I've noticed a pattern of constant questions about they why and how of things happening with nieces and nephews that hits around 3 or 4.

She blatantly refuses to learn to catch, and even though I've shown her how to do it since like a year old, she puts her hands all the way behind her head every time I tell her to catch something. Her 13 month old brother can actively catch things with his hands. 

From what little experience I have with children under 5, I've noticed a general pattern of boys being more into balls than girls.  Come to think of it, my brother was always better at that than I was...

#4 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 AM

The conversation sounds normal to ahead for that age to me, I'm no expert, but my DD is in daycare so I get to hear a lot of toddlers talking and that's pretty normal toddler talking at that age. When DD tries to have a conversation (she will sit down and say "Let's talk!") she will start off with a few real questions, but then she either keeps repeating or just starts saying gibberish or random words and makes it flow like a conversation, but she doesn't have enough yet to keep it going. My DD is 3.25 years old and from what I can tell is ahead of most of the kids her age as far as conversation.

For catching the ball, my guess is stubbornness. I too would just drop it and let her figure it out in her own time her own way. Just keep offering to play ball games occasionally without any criticism unless she asks for help. Maybe try rolling the ball or bouncing it or mixing it up some other way to see if she enjoys that more and then you can demonstrate by doing it yourself how to catch.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#5 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I feel a lot better now :-) My daughter is literally the only toddler I have ever paid any attention to in my life so I have no idea what is normal and what's not! 

I don't push the ball thing all that much, but she often asks to play catch. I try to help her, but I do think it's just stubbornness the more I think about it. I don't know why she picked that one thing to refuse to learn! lol Kids are weird!

#6 of 7 Old 03-01-2013, 12:35 PM

I used to worry about my older daughter for the same reasons.. she would never answer questions either, she would just give me a blank stare or repeat the question. And I knew other kids her age who did answer simple questions, so I was really worried. She was slightly less verbal than the other kids, too. But she was just developing at her own pace, and now that she's 4 I'm not worried at all. I know that she has a more easy-going disposition, which is part of it. She just doesn't like to push or be pushed... "whatever mom, I don't care about catching the stupid ball, leave me alone.." (her attitude, not her words). My younger daughter, on the other hand, is entirely different.....

#7 of 7 Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Lachney View Post

Thanks for the responses! I feel a lot better now :-) My daughter is literally the only toddler I have ever paid any attention to in my life so I have no idea what is normal and what's not! 

I don't push the ball thing all that much, but she often asks to play catch. I try to help her, but I do think it's just stubbornness the more I think about it. I don't know why she picked that one thing to refuse to learn! lol Kids are weird!

I think your toddler sounds totally normal--my son (3.5) is only now catching things. Some are better with their bodies at earlier ages than others. My son just takes longer to learn to do things physically. My guess is that your daughter wants to play catch, but her hands haven't figured out their part yet. If she isn't taking your directions, but wants to play catch, I would just aim for her belly (assuming it's very soft), and play the game without her actually catching it. She'll get it when she's ready, and if she gets the feeling from you that she's not doing it right, she might just get frustrated and lose interest altogether (which is what my son does). Kids (like adults) want to do it THEIR way and don't like being told what to do, and it's so hard for me to remember that sometimes, because I LOVE telling OTHERS what to do--hah! So they have the same double standard, I guess.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page