Can a 2 year old really play all by themselves - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#31 of 34 Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also agree it depends on personality, and sibling status.  If you have an older sibling then it's easier for sure.  First/only child is much harder, especially if they are "needy" and not independent!  

My 2 year old DD (almost 3) just spent an hour playing on the floor with jars, and a muffin tin, large yogurt containers with holes cut in the lids, dry pinto beans, little puff balls from the dollar store,  and a mix of beads.  She has to keep everything on the towel she's sitting on.  But she does prefer for me to be in her sight because she likes to talk to me constantly, and she does follow me to the bathroom most of the time.  

She also enjoys pouring water in various containers, using medicine droppers and little plastic toys with the water, and stirring it using pots and spoons.  Again, sitting on a big towel in the kitchen floor with a few rags if she spills it off the towel. We have a sand and water table out on the back porch for nice weather where she will go out and play with the window open so we can hear each other.  (If spring ever arrives here!)  It was a big hit last summer.  She also enjoys coloring and water color painting.  For the water with the paints I put a small plastic cup half full of water sitting in an empty heavy ceramic shallow bowel to reduce major spills.  

My next baby is a boy and people keep telling me I'm in for a shock after my two focused little girls. ROTFLMAO.gif

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son started playing for short sports independently around 2 years old but we were still nearby. He seems to do better if we are still in his sight and he also likes to narrate to us about what he's doing. Activities that keep his attention are his barn with animals, construction trucks and blocks to build/ knock down, rice or beans in a bin with cups, spoons, small treasures to hide/ find, stamps, cutting strips of paper, play doh, and we love our learning tower. We cook a lot so it is totally worth it for us. Sometimes he helps me - smells spices, stirs ingredients, etc but other times we just give home some flour or cornmeal and utensils to play with and he cooks on his own. I am just now able to go to the bathroom sometimes by myself and he is 2 1/2 but not always.
#33 of 34 Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

learning tower came in the mail today..YES!

i will let you all know how this one piece of furniture will solve all our problems ..lol

#34 of 34 Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

LOL, what is this peeing alone people speak of?  Even pre-child I have 2 cats and 2 dogs who barge in - even if I close the door!  So to make pee time productive we just use it as an opportunity to learn about the potty and she can either sit there in her clothes or if she'd like I strip her down and DD gets to try using her potty as well.  I'm budgeting for a leaning tower as well although in the mean time we push a chair to the counter and she does fine with that for now :-)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page