Burst Eardrum? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, this is going to sound really awful, but...I'm pretty sure my 2yo's eardrum just burst, and we didn't even know her ear was bothering her.  That really sounds like surely we must not have been paying attention to her or something.

She's had some sort of sinus-related virus for about a week (last Sunday through Saturday-ish), with a residual cough.  (Everyone else in the house has had it, except for me, so we were/are pretty confident of what it was.)  Nasal congestion, throat congestion, etc. - like a really bad cold, but not quite as bad as the flu.  At some point that week, I checked her ears with the otoscope, and didn't see any inflammation ('though she does have lots of wax, so maybe I just wasn't seeing around it.)  She last ran a fever early Saturday morning.  She's sounded and acted perfectly fine since then.  She's been totally chipper and cheery and not acted as though anything was bothering her.  And then all of a sudden she was poking at her outer ear and it turns out it's because she had junk running out of it.  Lots of junk, like watery ear wax.

Soo...I'm pretty confident her eardrum burst.  (Can't see into it with the otoscope ATM because the ear canal is still fairly full of "goo.")  But I'm wondering...is it reasonable to think that the pressure on it was caused by this overall respiratory infection she had, and that there's no reason to assume she had a separate ear infection?  And, more importantly, would you do anything differently at this point (besides keeping water out of the ear, etc.), or just assume it will heal itself at this point?

#2 of 3 Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I've never blown an eardrum, BUT several years back I had a nasty sinus infection and when I finally went to get it checked out (my pre-homeopathic days) I was told I was a tissue away from blowing out both.  So, from a sensory perspective my ears didn't hurt at all, never even felt pressure on them so it's not horrible that you didn't notice her ears - she probably never felt a thing.  As for fluid coming out, it could be ear drum, or I know for me, esp when I use a netti pot but even if not, I can get a non-waxy fluid discharge just from excess drainage in my sinuses. This is the time of year when it happens for me and currently am at the tail end of a flare.  So while I can't help with what to do, I figured I'd share my experiences I've had in case that helps any!

#3 of 3 Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you!  That's very helpful. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page