At what point would you consider not eating solids a problem? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is 13.5 months and for the last few days has not had any solids to speak of, in the form of either baby food or table food.  Now she's never been a great eater, in fact there are quite a few posts in Life with a Babe by me concerned about her eating.  But she is still gaining well and stays on her growth curve.  She may be teething, I really don't know.  My question is when would you be concerned, and bring it up to a doctor? We haven't done a well baby since she was 4 months (ah!), as she is growing and developing wonderfully. 

As a bit of a separate point, what do you feed your toddler? What ever they will eat?  DH and I eat paleo mostly and I'd rather that DD does too, but she will eat puffs, mac n cheese, etc.  Should I just feed those things to her? I'm really lost as to what to do, I had really hoped she would start eating...

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#2 of 13 Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 PM

It sounds like she's probably teething.  I would keep offering finger foods.  Are you nursing?  I've heard of some kids who don't eat a lot of solids until 18 mo or so.  I would worry if she weren't peeing or pooping, or if she were not gaining weight.

That said, if she doesn't like meat, paleo might be a stretch.  Kids need plenty of carbs and fat.  I limit my DS to a box of mac and cheese per week.  He would gladly eat one every day.  If you're worried about her not eating, by all means give her nutritious food she will eat.  

#3 of 13 Old 03-14-2013, 02:08 PM

I'd like to know too... my baby is two months younger but same deal here...

#4 of 13 Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My DD ate SOME solids at that age, but certainly not much.  It took her a really long time to warm up to it.  I would say, though, that by 15 or so months she started to eat a bit more, and by 18 months ate about the same as any other kid her age (although her chewing skills are still behind the curve at almost 3).  My DD has food-texture issues, and I think that may have contributed to her lack of enthusiasm for food. 

I will say that I DID go the route of giving somewhat more noodles and pasta and stuff than I should have just to get her to eat something.  I was worried because her weight really wasn't great and her doctor kept having me come in for interim weight checks.  In retrospect, I wish that I hadn't done this and had continued offering whole fruits, veggies and proteins for a lot longer before moving on to other foods.  DD kind of eats anti-paleo (prefers grain, dairy and fruit), and it's very hard to shift that back. 

One thing that was really useful for the transition to solids was those baby food pouches that are all over the place now.  Those were the only things we could count on her to eat for quite a while. 

#5 of 13 Old 03-14-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Newmamalizzy, how did you identify her food texture issues?  I am not quite sure what happened with this girl, because I was just looking at some vids from when she was 6 months and we just started trying BLW and she was happy as clam to shove sweet potatoes into her mouth. Fast forward a month and she was gagging/puking up everything, and wouldn't eat any puree I made, and I eventually just started to give her those baby food pouches.  That's been the bulk of what she eats solids-wise since then.  Greek yogurt has always been popular and she will take a few bites of that almost always.  Threetwofive, yes I am still nursing, and this girl has maintained 75th percentile powered by almost solely BM!  What's strange, and I think possibly the million dollar point, is that she will eat anything and everything when she is at Grandma's house.  My MIL told me she ate a half of a banana with her a few days ago, and more!  I can't think of any time where this girl has eaten more than a few bites with me, ever!  Maybe she just wants to nurse with me?  I hope she grows out of this soon! Escaping, is your LO walking?  I have recently taken to leaving out some snacks on the coffee table to see if DD will eat when there's no pressure.  All of the puffs have been eaten, hopefully eventually she'll take an interest in the cheese, blueberries, etc! :)

Om'ing to Peace

#6 of 13 Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 PM

My DD is 20mo and still goes through phases where she prefers breastmilk to solids. When we are at home, we eat mostly primal, and the foods we focus on making available to her are the same ones we eat (we don't give her anything special). I find that she eats best when a) I'm ignoring her b) we're eating a meal in a big group or c) she gets to spoon the food onto her plate, peel the banana, etc. Or, if she hasn't nursed much... Its really difficult for me to not push her to eat, but I don't think I'd call a doc unless she was underweight.
#7 of 13 Old 03-16-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Escaping, is your LO walking?  I have recently taken to leaving out some snacks on the coffee table to see if DD will eat when there's no pressure.  All of the puffs have been eaten, hopefully eventually she'll take an interest in the cheese, blueberries, etc! :)

Yup, he's been walking since 8.5 months and currently has half a tooth LOL

The only trick I've found which seems to work is if I eat something myself, then shove it into his mouth. Sometimes if I catch him with his mouth open enough it will go straight in.... then he gets the picture that it's "food" and picks up some pieces himself thumbsup.gif

Our biggest impediment is that he loves feeding our dogs so everything on his tray he gives to them. It takes forever to cut his food into little tiny bits and so annoying when he just gives it all to them! ...it's kinda cute seeing him giggle when he does it though.

#8 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 PM

I wouldn't worry until at least 18 months unless there are other issues (peeing, pooping, growing, energy level, etc.)

The more you stress about it, the less likely it is to go as you want it too.  I know it is really hard not to worry, and then hard to hide that anxiety from your child.

I really think what's best is to sit down together for regular meals, offer plenty of healthy choices (I would put puffs and mac-n-cheese in the occasional category, myself) and eat with your child.  Do not try to talk your child into eating, or push food on her.  At 13.5 months, she really is still just experimenting with solids.  My dd is a HUGE eater, but at that age she wasn't eating much.  I didn't really do purees, I just gave her soft finger foods and let her go to town.  Steamed fruits and vegetables, raw fruits and vegetables, steamed rice, oatmeal, beans, scrambled eggs, etc.  I did spoon feed certain messy things, like soup and yogurt, but she always had finger foods available to her, and I never pushed anything on her.  When I gave her meat, I just minced it finely and put a little pile of it in front of her.  Fish is easier for them to chew.

Model good eating habits, and share your enjoyment of food with her.  I don't think it's great to have food out all the time.  My kids eat a lot, but if they have food available constantly, it just goes to waste -- they get bored or sick of it, they play with it, or whatever.  If we have a schedule and sit down to 3 meals and 2 snacks a day (or whatever) they are much more likely to eat the food and then go about their business.  If they are hungry and ask for food, then I give it to them, but I don't just leave it out all the time.  That said, if you find that leaving a snack plate on the coffee table or wherever she can reach it works for your family, then go for it.

#9 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

So as an update, I've lately just been putting whatever we are eating on her tray and she can eat or not. Sometimes she's a little interested if she can use utensils, sometimes not interested at all, and often more interested if I'm not looking at her. Even so, the max she will eat over the course of a day is maybe 5 bites, and maybe half of one of those pouches if I offer though I am trying to move away from those. My WWYD question would be do you think night weaning would be a good idea now? *I* could really use the rest!

Om'ing to Peace

#10 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 AM

I don't know if this is the correct answer, but my son has been weaned since about 9 months old. He stopped waking me up and I'm sure as heck not waking him up... but that didn't help much in the self-feeding department. He still also only eats maybe 5 bites all day if I just leave food in his tray. If I puree the same thing, he'll eat 10-12 ounces in one sitting and still complain when the shovelling stops.

#11 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 02:01 PM

Again, if there are no health concerns (i.e. normal elimination and growth and energy level, etc.) I don't see any reason not to night wean.  I would continue to breastfeed as long as you can, but at this age you certainly don't have to do it all night long.

#12 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 PM

Correction: my post should have said he's been night weaned since 9 mos... Not regular weaned smile.gif
#13 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 PM

One year olds don't eat solid food much, in my experience.

I don't know what pouches are being discussed, but here's what I did.

I held my child on my lap during meals, and my child was allowed to eat as much or as little from my plate as desired. When I started feeling like I was competing with my child to get food, then it was time for the child to have a separate place at the table and separate food.

Talk to grandma about feeding, too. How is she doing it?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page