New Mama of a very unhappy teething 1yo needs kind caring advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My sweet adorable beautiful little boy, the poor thing, is teething miserably and he has 2 or 3 molars cutting thru his gums, and he often reminds me of when I was miserable from labor pain and I wanted to escape through the floor or the wall to escape the terrible pain.  No offense to anyone, but I would prefer to only receive responses from those parents, young and mature, who eschew big pharma and don't reach for Baby Tylenol or Motrin as a remedy.   My DH and I have heard from other Mothers that the teething could last for at least a few more weeks and by then we may lose our minds OMG!  I respect and understand that there are Mothers who feel the need to give pain relievers to their children, but we don't feel comfortable or safe with it, especially considering the potential dangerous harmful side effects and there is no guarantee it will help and it may help for an hour, but he's right back to misery, so, with all the synthetic ingredients in it, it doesn't make any sense.  That being said, we need some sound kind caring advice and support.  We give him Hyland's teething tablets and gel and we apply a drop or 2 of chamomile essential oil to his gums and dilute a drop of clove oil in a tbsp of olive oil and apply to his gums and these remedies help somewhat, but sadly, very temporary, though there are times when it helps a lot...his mood changes frequently, poor little thing.  We give him frozen teething rings and pacifiers, he sometimes chews on them and he chews on his plastic feeding spoon that we use to feed him his food with and he likes it.  It's terrible that a baby has to suffer like this, it's not fair! :(  We've cried listening to him cry and we rock him and hold him and cuddle and watch comedy together to distract him.  It's just very overwhelming.  We're in the process of seeking an open minded alternative pediatrician who is holistic minded, but in the meantime, I'm hoping for some wise suggestions.  Thank you for listening.

Thank you for being fragrance-free! Wear organic or wear nothing!
http://bodyearthself.blogspot.com/
#2 of 9 Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 PM

I prefer calms forte to the teething tablets for my Ds....works better for some! The molar pain will be off and on, not constant till they break thru.

Hugs to your little one!
#3 of 9 Old 03-14-2013, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

DD is 16mos and 2 mos ago we were in the same boat - until she woke up one morning with 6 new teeth.  Yes, she popped 6 at once, 4 of them being molars.  Hyland tabs were helpful but I also got her an amber necklace that really seemed to take the 'edge' off.  When not wearing it she was literally punching her gums with her fist screaming and drooling.   Once the necklace went on, she became composed, calm, I knew she was still feeling the teeth bc she was nursing more often, but it was without all the fuss so I felt much better about it.  I also gave her some rescue remedy drops at night to settle her down.

#4 of 9 Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Sort of a high-sugar piece of advise- but the yogurt tube/ squeeze things can be frozen, then cut it in half to give to your LO.  By that age my DD didn't like teething rings, but loves the yogurt.  Also frozen peas.

#5 of 9 Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 PM

Sometimes I had better luck using single homeopathic remedies rather than the teething tablets.  Calcerea phos. was our go-to.

I'm not giving this as advice to you, but just rambling my own story.  We are so anti-pharma.  We hate the idea, and tried every natural remedy with our kids.  My son did well with the natural remedies.  My daughter was not so lucky, especially when cutting 6 teeth at once.  We tried a half-dose of teylenol and our kiddo slept through the night.  So it became a very judicious part of our tool-kit.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#6 of 9 Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 AM

Have you tried Amber teething necklaces? I've heard good things about them :)

#7 of 9 Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Mamas for your kind caring suggestions and warmth and support, I appreciate it very much.  Wow, teething is a real b**ch...sorry, don't know if I can "cuss" here. ;)    I wanted to reply sooner, but I've been feeling very tired and our little 1 is a real handful, Bless his sweet Beautiful Heart <3.  I'm actively seeking a local holistic pediatrician who accepts Medicaid and hopefully get some wise healthy helpful suggestions.  Calms Forte' does sound good, but we're going to wait and see what the pediatrician says.  I have to say and I mean no offense to anyone, but it's very frustrating to see read how many Mamas have positive good results with amber necklaces because it doesn't seem like the 1 our little 1 wears everyday is helping though in all fairness, (bite my tongue) I suppose it could be worse? Yikes! I don't even want to think that way.  He wears an amber anklet every night under his socks and onesie.  *sigh*  This phase really sucks and it's exhausting...we feel like crying ourselves. :-(  Poor kid!  Thank goodness he's not in constant pain 24/7 day and night...he does enjoy breaks of relief and he feels better and he even laughs and plays and eats very well.  He enjoys eating what Mama and Dada eat and he eats heartily.  1 thing I'm wondering is after talking with my DH about it, do some children have a higher pain threshold than others? And again no offense, but I prefer to only hear about babies whose parents only give them natural holistic remedies and zero big pharma meds or pain killers.  I know that many parents resort to them because they feel the need to and I mean no disrespect toward them at all, but I need to know that there are other Mamas out there who feel the same way I do and understand.  Tonight, I noticed that he is now chewing on his fingers on the other side of his mouth on the bottom, whereas it's only been on the top...omg ugh...more molars cutting thru, yikes!  The way he moves around and lies down reminds me of when I was in labor and I was writhing on the bed and sticking my butt in the air, screaming and crying, wishing the pain would stop.  We cuddle with him, gently sway and rock him, play with him, read to him.  Okay, I'm feeling very tired now and can't think well to write any more...I'm starting to not make sense. arg  Thank You Mamas for your caring kindness support warmth and for listening.  I'm grateful and happy to be here. xox <3 <3 <3

Thank you for being fragrance-free! Wear organic or wear nothing!
http://bodyearthself.blogspot.com/
#8 of 9 Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM

What we use is Hyland's Homeopathic Teething gel. And no, we don't use any medications or Big Pharma stuff, nor have we used anything to lower fevers besides lots of water, and rest. When we get upset tummies we take Milk of Magnesia, and ONLY if it's persistent. The Hyland's gel is awesome. It took several applications the first time we used it, but after that, when our son's mouth is bothering him, one application and he's good to go. i only mentioned the amber teething necklaces because I've heard about them, haven't used them. Amber works beautiful as long as it has been cleansed. It absorbs negative energy, so if his is "filled to the max" with negativity, it's not going to work for him right now until it's been cleansed. :)

#9 of 9 Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwriter View Post

Thank you Mamas for your kind caring suggestions and warmth and support, I appreciate it very much.  Wow, teething is a real b**ch...sorry, don't know if I can "cuss" here. ;)    I wanted to reply sooner, but I've been feeling very tired and our little 1 is a real handful, Bless his sweet Beautiful Heart <3.  I'm actively seeking a local holistic pediatrician who accepts Medicaid and hopefully get some wise healthy helpful suggestions.  Calms Forte' does sound good, but we're going to wait and see what the pediatrician says.  I have to say and I mean no offense to anyone, but it's very frustrating to see read how many Mamas have positive good results with amber necklaces because it doesn't seem like the 1 our little 1 wears everyday is helping though in all fairness, (bite my tongue) I suppose it could be worse? Yikes! I don't even want to think that way.  He wears an amber anklet every night under his socks and onesie.  *sigh*  This phase really sucks and it's exhausting...we feel like crying ourselves. :-(  Poor kid!  Thank goodness he's not in constant pain 24/7 day and night...he does enjoy breaks of relief and he feels better and he even laughs and plays and eats very well.  He enjoys eating what Mama and Dada eat and he eats heartily.  1 thing I'm wondering is after talking with my DH about it, do some children have a higher pain threshold than others? And again no offense, but I prefer to only hear about babies whose parents only give them natural holistic remedies and zero big pharma meds or pain killers.  I know that many parents resort to them because they feel the need to and I mean no disrespect toward them at all, but I need to know that there are other Mamas out there who feel the same way I do and understand.  Tonight, I noticed that he is now chewing on his fingers on the other side of his mouth on the bottom, whereas it's only been on the top...omg ugh...more molars cutting thru, yikes!  The way he moves around and lies down reminds me of when I was in labor and I was writhing on the bed and sticking my butt in the air, screaming and crying, wishing the pain would stop.  We cuddle with him, gently sway and rock him, play with him, read to him.  Okay, I'm feeling very tired now and can't think well to write any more...I'm starting to not make sense. arg  Thank You Mamas for your caring kindness support warmth and for listening.  I'm grateful and happy to be here. xox <3 <3 <3

poor baby! It sounds like he is having a really hard time and I wish for you all the teeth will come through quickly.

To answer your question, YES it seems to me that some of us, from babyhood, have lower/higher pain tolerance than others. My dd had a terrible time with teething and now I have a ds who is not having as hard a time at all. He shows signs of the teething (right now cutting his first molars too), but they are minimal. He has slightly disrupted sleep and wants to nurse more frequently - that's about it.

My dd would cry and cry - it was awful. She is now 11 and an incredibly empathetic, emotionally intuitive person! I think for her those traits go hand-in-hand.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page