That nonstop coughing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My 2.5 yo started coughing out of the blue on Wed and on Thur developed a fever of 102.  Fri I gave him some ibuprofen and it seemed to bring the temp down to normal.  He's been acting more or less miserable once the fever developed.  He has a few moments of wanting to go and play with puzzles, or something else, but mostly he's content to just sit and watch TV.  He's not eating much, but does drink water and pee.  His cough just seems worse and worse.  It stops for a little bit when he's sleeping, although he's not sleeping more than an hour or so at a time.  I've done xopenex a couple of time...he really hasn't wheezed since he was under 1...but I still have it for my older son, so I we did a treatment just to make sure he's not wheezing (I could never hear it with either of them, it was always the Dr. who diagnosed it).  I'm thinking this is the flu...could he possibly have pneumonia already?  I've tried doing saline neb with him, but he doesn't like it and I don't want him to get all upset and crying.  I never know when I should take my kids to the Dr on the weekend...seems like I always jump the gun because I get so worried...wwyd?

#2 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sounds exactly like what I have.  My boys have it too, but they're both displaying way more snot and less coughing than I am.  We just soothe symptoms as best we can.  If you're worried call your doc.

#3 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaj1008 View Post

Sounds exactly like what I have.  My boys have it too, but they're both displaying way more snot and less coughing than I am.  We just soothe symptoms as best we can.  If you're worried call your doc.

How do you soothe symptoms in a 2 year old?  He's freaking out just by the sight of the saline bottle....refuses saline in nebulizer...the few times I've called nurse lines for this kind of thing for my other son haven't been very helpful...really.  I guess I can call the ped tomorrow, although I'm not sure they're open.  I hate having the kids sick over the weekend when I can't take them in for 2 days.

#4 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 AM

It sounds a lot like what my DD has, thankfully she's coming out of it but it's been a 5-6 day marathon. Usually if she's sick, she'll have a rough 24 hour period, 2 days where she's recovering rapidly and is fine by day 4. This time she had a low grade fever on days 1-2, with lots of mucus and some coughing. Then the fever settled, she had MORE mucus and moderate coughing for a couple of days and now she's got less mucus but coughs a LOT more on days 5-6. I run a humidifier in her room continuously overnight to loosen the mucus and soothe the sore throat. Other than that I wipe her nose with a soft receiving blanket, offer lots of fruit and whatever else she'd like to eat as her appetite slowly returns and plenty of water. I was basically a mattress for the first four days as she spent most of the day asleep on my chest. Now she's cut back to her usual one nap, plays and reads books, just coughs a lot. I'm not interested in giving her a cough suppressant since I'd rather her have the discomfort but be able to instinctively keep her airways clear. I don't even know if they make any for 2 year olds. I would simply try to keep him hydrated and keep an eye out for the fever. If it spikes up again AND ibuprofen isnt controlling it, then I'd get on the horn or take him in. I think this is one of those things he will simply have to get through greensad.gif
#5 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ... I am taking him to see the ped in an hour...he actually slept pretty well after the ibuprofen.  He woke up very weak but is eating a bit.  I did give him some ibuprofen...he still has a fever this morning.  It doesn't seem like the fever is very high (101ish), but he is very different after the ibuprofen.  He's not coughing very much now, although he's very mucousy.  I am going to take him in since it's day 4 for the fever, and I want to make sure there's no pneumonia.  Unfortunately my older son is now starting that same cough, so I guess we're on for more rough days.  

#6 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM

How do I soothe symptoms with a 2 yr old? I do what I can thats within their tolerance (unless of course they were suffering a life threatening condition). We do lots of hot showers (my boys 3 and 1 love to play in the shower) and close the bathroom door and turn off the fan to trap the steam. My boys are very resistant to ANY kind of intervention, aspirators, nasal spray, anything of the sort- one won't even take Tylenol, but he's the one who nurses so for him it's nurse nurse nurse- that is often enough soothing for him. My three old doesn't tolerate much either, so he tells me what he needs to be comfy (a pile of blankies on the couch, his favorite movie, etc) and likes his nose wiped with cloth wipes not tissues. We mostly treat colds with food and or juice- ie high vitamin c, smoothies, and chicken/broth, my one year old likes tea (camomile), and then steamy showers when theyre super congested. It's a crabby, trying few days or whatever the duration is, but we make it through.
When my first was in day care before I had my second baby, we took him in for everything. I just felt safer that way. Now I don't because I know our tolerance levels better. But its best just to go if you're unsure, just to save yourself the anxiety. It sounds like you guys were able to tough it out over the weekend. Hang in there and hoping everyone feels better soon!
#7 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I always use honey for the cough. It really does seem to help.
#8 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone...the toddler is doing better...still looks miserable, but he's moving around and eating.  It was hard, because he didn't want anything like warm milk with honey or tea or broth...I felt pretty darn helpless.  He still had a fever last night, but hopefully it won't spike tonight and we'll be done with it.  My other son is getting sick, but at least he will do whatever I ask him as far as treatments.  

Thanks...sometimes when I don't know what else to do except listen to that horrible cough and breathing, I come and post here, and it helps at least my mental state :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page