Dilemma re Chicken Pox Vaccine... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 2 Old 03-27-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
 
MiddleRiverMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're in a bit of a pickle.  I just got a call from my DS's pediatrician telling me that we were exposed to chicken pox in their office yesterday.  My DS has had the first vaccine but not the second, so he might be immune or might not.  Normally, I would go ahead and do the second vaccine, but he is really sick today!  Stuffy nose, low fever and lethargic.  My philosophy on vaccines has always been space them out and do them when he is not sick....  However, we only have three days from the chicken pox exposure (Monday) to vaccinate him in order for it to have a good chance of working.  

 

Also, to add to the complexity, I have been checked and I am not immune to chicken pox.  The doctor would like to vaccinate me as well, but then my DS will be double exposed -- through his own vaccine and through my breastmilk.  He is 2 and a half years old, so not much breastmilk, but still a good bit of night nursing happens.... 

 

Any thoughts!?

 

***Revision, pediatrician is now saying to vaccinate me, but wait to vaccinate him until his fever goes away.  So I think that is what we will do, but would still love to get others' thoughts and suggestions.

MiddleRiverMama is offline  
#2 of 2 Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM
 
avismama24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Middle River Mama did you have the chicken pox as a kid? If so then I would not vaccinate. Personally I wouldn't choose to vaccinate my son for chicken pox bc of the increased risk associated with any vaccine (my personal belief) and the increased risk of shingles later on in life, but since you already gave him the first vaccine and he did not have a negative reaction, waiting 24 hrs for his fever to subside to give dose number two is probably not that large of a risk.

 

Sorry for your dilema. Best of luck!!!


Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

avismama24 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off