What do you use for dishes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a very few "kid" plates for my two and a half year old, and mostly just prefer for him to use our plates/dishes, which are glass.  He has always been careful and he helps with clearing the table and washing dishes and stuff...but now the plates are starting to break.  He will toss his glass into the sink and whatever is in there will smash...but he can't really do it more "gently" because of the height.  And if he accidentally sets a dish too hard on the granite counter tops it will crack.  I don't want to be buying new dish sets all the time, but I don't want to use plastic, and obviously paper would be totally wasteful....what do you use??

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 01:19 PM

I saw bamboo fiber dishes at a high end grocery store a couple of weeks ago. I think they're marketed as patio ware but are gorgeous and I almost bought them. They were $3 each so not too bad and biodegradable if worn out. They were lightweight but very sturdy feeling and came in a variety of colours and clean, contemporary shapes. We just give DD our dishes but they're cheap ikea stuff and she's only ever broken one. She doesn't clear the table yet and we don't have marble so there are fewer breakage opportunities. I keep thinking of those bamboo fiber plates though....
#3 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 PM

Duralex makes 'break-resistant' glass dishes.  Could be worth giving them a try... An interesting history, they used to be the standard used in cafeterias in elementary schools throughout France for many years.

#4 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Nice ideas!! I'll definitely look into those :)

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#5 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was in Ikea recently and they had some super cheap dishes for kids (I think like $1.99 for 4-6 cups, plates, bowls) but I didn't get them because the packaging didn't say it was BPA free. When I looked them up when I got home, they are BPA free and seem to be a pretty good value so I'll be picking up some next time I'm in that neck of the woods.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#6 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Corelle.  Works great with my rambunctious boy - and still looks like nice tableware!

Wife to DH hat.gif (8/1/09), Mom to DS jog.gif (4/28/11) and DD energy.gif(6/16/12).

#7 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 PM

We use Fiestaware which is still possible to break but rarely does. We got it when we got married almost 7 years ago and have peobably only broken 2 pieces. I also bought two sets of stainless steel plates/ cups/bowl and utensils off of Amazon and though they were pricey we use them all the time. They are great for travel and dinners out too.
#8 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 PM

We just use regular white porcelain plates, inexpensive ones that we got from the local grocery store. Our bowls are also white but from IKEA (their 365 series I believe, or similar) but since it's all white and a similar style they look like they "match". You can get a set of them for $35 it looks like: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50136317/ DD has always used these, well, except for when she was just eating from her high chair tray with her fingers, LOL. She's 2, no broken dishes yet, but I'm sure it will happen eventually. They were around $2 each or something so it's not a big deal if it happens.

#9 of 9 Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 AM

I like the Corelle brand for sturdy dishes that still look nice and that aren't too heavy. They also are very reasonably priced! They can break, but you have to try pretty hard, usually when I drop them on the floor, they just bounce once or twice and are fine, throwing them in the sink or setting them on the counter would be no problem. They are a laminated glass product.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Tags
Toddlers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page