Leaving 1.5 year old for two nights? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you leave your young toddler for a few days? How did it go? Is there any way to prepare for it? How do you know if it will be too much for the toddler?

I have a work trip coming up at the end of May (three days, two nights), when my son will be 19 months old. I've never left him overnight, and he still nurses to sleep and at least a couple of times during the night. I'm nervous about how it will be for him. I could get out of the trip if necessary, but it would be better if I went.

Any advice? Thanks!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 6 Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 PM

I have an 18 month old. I've had to do it a couple of times now. It's not fun. At all. There were tears, but not on her end at all. I think the key is to leave him with someone you trust. In my case, Facetime (video chatting) was really fun for us. I still felt like I had seen her, interacted with her and that she had the reinforcement of seeing me and feeling (hopefully) loved and supported by me.

As for the nursing part, I have no idea. We were all done with that when I had to leave. Will he take a bottle from someone else? If not, I'd definitely start working on that now.

As for you, KEEP YOURSELF BUSY. My breakdown came when I was alone in my hotel room. You have too much time to think about how much you miss him/her.

All the best to you. It will be over before you know it.

#3 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I've done it once while I was still pumping so DD had a bottle and was with my parents, she had just turned a year, but it was only for one night.  We've since done a few (less than 3 lol) date nights that were late and for one of them she was ok taking coconut milk before bed.  Now she doesn't really nurse to sleep - it's more like nurse, get a diaper, then off to bed and she doesn't put up much of a fuss so we're lucky there.  You have time to either try doing the bottle before bed, or you could pull him off befre he's out cold and try rocking or cuddling to see if he will go to sleep that way.  DD is 16mos and I still have a hard time just leaving her to go out for dinner, I'd be an emotional wreck if I left her for more than a night!  Good luck, definitely skype if you do go!

#4 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 11:13 AM

I've never left an 18 month old overnight, but my experience with a freshly nightweaned 23 month old was that she was totally fine for 3 nights with her other mama. I was shocked because she had a clear preference for me at night when I was around.

My experience with our baby when he was 9 months old and his milky mama went out of town was that he expressed some disappointment the first and third nights at bedtime, slept longer intervals and generally did fine despite normally having a strong preference for nursing with his mama.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#5 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this. It sounds like it is probably doable, but maybe also hard for everyone involved.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#6 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 07:44 PM

I was away for 4 nights when my daughter was 16 months old. I pumped to maintain supply while I was gone. She missed me a lot and was clingy for a couple of days when I got back, but she wasn't too difficult for my husband or other caregivers. It was a pleasure trip to visit my best friend so I was having too much fun to really miss her much, but I could imagine that being harder for me if it had been a trip I wasn't too enthused about. Ultimately we both did fine. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page