Almost 2 year old changing pronounciation of words? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is almost 2 and he says around 120 words or so. I've noticed lately that he's started mispronouncing some words that he previous said correctly. For example, pepper he now calls peppey. On the other hand, I've also noticed an improvement in some words he couldn't say well. He calls a towel a towel now, instead of "wowel"

He's also started to call me mommy instead of mama. He's kinda using them interchangeably now. It's funny how he just started calling me that.
#2 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 AM

My daughter is 3 1/2 now and has always enjoyed playing with words in that way as well. Most amusingly, around age 2 she started putting a prefix "kin-" in front of any word she particularly liked, even though she used to pronounce them more or less correctly (ex: kin-gage for garage, or kin-regano for oregano). When "kin-" fell out of vogue, she adopted "buh-" for awhile instead. She also likes to experiment with calling me "Mommy" instead of "Mama" and has recently decided that her name is Kaylok. She has a broad vocabulary and seems to really enjoy the sounds of words. Oh, the little language lovers. :-)

#3 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM

I was happy to see your post because my DS who is two and a half, and pretty advanced verbally, does exactly the same thing.  When I ask why he is doing that, he tells me he is speaking Spanish!  He grins ear to ear if I repeat his mispronunciations, or make up my own.  I try not to encourage it too much, but sometimes it is fun to play into it.  I think they know it is not "real."

#4 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Totally normal.  My 16mo is incredibly verbal, 200+, and will pronounce things correctly for a few days, then she will start to reverse the words - saying the last part first, especially on longer multi-syllable words.  It's all part of the brain racing to learn and absorb new things - two steps forwards, one step back sort of deal.  I notice it alot when DD is picking up a new set of words, some of her old ones are jumbled, I just repeat them back to her correctly and tell her she did a great job saying her words and eventually she gets back on track with them.  Of course DH has been letting her slide on saying 'love you' bc he finds it adorable that she pronounces it "nah-nu" so he will say nah-nu to her :-)

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page